-6-Duncan💫

The class was silent as Mr. O'Brien checked the class list. He made sure everyone was here before reading the names of the groups. When he got to my name I held my breath. Jake looked pretty disappointed since he was before me and got stuck with some girl who's name I couldn't remember.

"Duncan Lawrence and Erick Muller, said Mr O'Brien.

I was relieved that it was Erick and not some girl who was head over heels for jocks. Amber turned to Axel and he listened for something, maybe his name? I couldn't be sure.

"Axel Williams and Amber Jones.

Once everyone was sorted into groups we had the rest of the period to discuss what we wanted to do for the project. Erick had some great ideas but didn't seem so enthusiastic about them like I'd hoped. I decided to let it slide and focused on the pages that could help us.
The bell wrung and soon it was break again. The cafeteria was crowded by the time I got there and Nick sat in my usual spot, which meant that I had to sit next to some of the cheerleaders.

Amber came a few minutes later carrying two trays and Erick brought a third one. Axel came running after them, carrying what looked like a math book in his hands. He seated himself and it looked like he was having a serious talk with Amber. One girl next to me started stroking my arm and I wanted to shove her away but Jake was watching so I pretended to be fine with it. He nodded like he approved and went back to talking about parties.

I looked around and caught Axel staring at me. He looked angry, maybe a little upset? I stared back until he broke they eye contact and I turned my attention back to Jake as he went rambling on. I had just started listening when things got really dark.

"Dunc? Your parents are out of town right? Why don't we just have the party there? said Jake enthusiastically.

"I don't know Jake. Whenever you throw parties you leave me to sort out the mess and I can't give my mother another reason to distrust me-

"C'mon Dunc it'll be fun! Just you, me some of the guys and some girls. Just a average house party. What do you say?

"Fine. Just remember we can't drink, coach needs us at our best for Saturday's game.

"Whatever you say captain.

I stood up as the whole table started laughing and threw away my tray of food. The bell rang just as I was about to go sit down and so we went to our last couple of classes. My last one was Physical Education so I ran as fast as I could to the lockers to go get changed. Once we were changed, they made us take a couple laps around the field to strengthen our muscles then a couple sit-ups and pushups. The exercises were done now and I was laying down on the grass, my breathing starting to gain momentum.

I saw someone sit next to me and smiled when I saw it was Erick. We always sat together in Phys Ed whenever we were finished. Jake wasn't in this class and so it wasn't an issue. Erick seemed tired too and soon his back was down on the grass too. We stayed like that for a short while and I closed my eyes. The cold wind felt amazing today. It just did when you've finished working out.

"Hey Duncan? Can I ask you something?

"Sure Erick. What's up?

"So um Amber and I wanted to work on a science project together since we always get paired up and I was wondering if maybe you'd switch places?

"I don't understand Erick -

"Well maybe I could work with Amber and you could work with Axel. If that's alright with you?

"I guess it doesn't really matter who I do the project with so yeah it's cool.

"Thanks bro. You're the best.

We talked about random stuff until the bell wrung and school was finally over. I realised how hungry I was and decided to head over to a convenience store close to us and just stack up on snacks. I'm not gonna lie some were for the house party but mostly they were for me.

I ended up leaving with two bags and blasted my music on full volume all the way till I reached my house. As soon as I went inside I put everything that could break in plastic wrap and hid it upstairs. I didn't want anything broken since Jakes parties got wild.

Next I turned on the Tv and left it on some random movie while I ate some snacks I had bought. Two hours later I heard my phones notification and saw that it was Amber and I was surprised that I still had her number. I needed it one time when I forgot my homework but that was it. I opened her message.

Amber: hey Duncan. Thanks for switching with Erick. It really means a lot to me.

Me: no problem Amber. He's my friend and I wanted to help out.

I got another message and I turned off the tv since I was no longer watching anything. This time it was Axel.

Axel: meet me at the library tomorrow after school so we can work on our project ~ A.

So Amber had told him about the switch. I just wondered  why he hadn't suggested his house. Maybe he had strict parents? Or maybe he was embarrassed? Either way there was no way I was going to the library after school. The computers there were old and took way too long to turn on. I had plenty of tech here and it would be way faster than the library. The sooner we did this project, the sooner I could have Axel out of my life.

Me: no way! Come to my place after school it's easier and we'll get work done faster. I'll text the address ~D.

After a few minutes Axel had read and I waited for his reply.

Axel: see you tomorrow. At your place ~A.

After I had read I didn't know how to reply so I left it. I heard a car honking outside and saw that Jake was here. Was it six already? I opened the front door and he came in carrying beers and a few snacks. I guess the drinking thing was still happening. Jake passed me a beer and soon the music was blasting loud. More people came in every few minutes and I put the beer down on the table. Tonight wasn't the night to lose myself or get drunk.

I sat down on the couch and some girl joined me. I knew what she wanted and usually I would let her down slowly. Tonight however I didn't care. I needed a distraction now more than ever from Axel and his green eyes. I led the girl upstairs and the memories got a little hazy after that.