Chapter 30

Mark

November 11, 2015

Local police authorities cancelled the Amber Alert for Hailey Austin two hours after the candlelight vigil ended. Earlier this morning one of the lead detectives took to our TV screens to inform Oak Creek residents that new evidence regarding Hailey's disappearance had been discovered and that the description provided regarding the suspect in the case may no longer be accurate. Everyone is encouraged to continue looking for Hailey and to report any information regarding her location. He didn't respond to any questions following his brief statement.

The investigation is ongoing.

More information will be released as it is uncovered.

Hailey is still missing.

I show up at Daniel's house with a bag of donuts and coffee with two creams and extra sugar—my peace offering for months of putting him in harm's way without ever officially thanking him and for being an overall pain in the ass. He accepts with a smile before leading me down into the basement away from his family so we can talk in private.

A few nights off from our usual searching has restored some of the color to his face, and he almost looks as if he wouldn't fall over to one side if a small bird came to rest on his shoulder. I guess it would depend on the bird. A finch might not do it. A canary would be pushing it. A pigeon would drop him like a rock.

"What do you think Mr. Austin knows that we don't?" Daniel asks, removing the lid from his coffee and blowing lightly before sipping.

I take to one of the old, dust-covered green chairs that whimpers in protest under my weight. We used to host video game parties down here on weekends back when our biggest problems were plasma grenades and losing Cheetos in the seat cushions. I blindly reach into the donut bag, trying several times before finding cinnamon glaze. "Well whatever it is, it's obviously related to this new evidence they've found." I wipe the cinnamon residue off my lower lip with my shirt sleeve.

"Do you think Mrs. Garter is lying? Is she trying to cover something up?"

I let out a low laugh. "What? Did she strike you as the kidnapping type?"

Daniel shrugs. "I'm just trying to figure this out. We spoke to her. She said she saw the guy who took her. What changed?"

My fingers sort through a few more donuts to find a chocolate glaze. "Well we're going to find out. I say we try talking to Mr. Austin again. He knows what's going on. Maybe in the comfort of his own home, he'll tell us more. We have to try."

Daniel nods as if he expected this. "For sure." Then his eyes drift away from his coffee and over to me, lingering there before flashing away. "We can go. Just don't ... um ... you know. They've been through a lot, like you. Don't—"

"I know, Daniel," I say, defensively. "I'm not going to lose my shit this time. Promise." I rise from the green chair, listening as it sighs in relief this time. I walk over to Daniel, bag in hand and pass him a donut, wiping the powder off onto his shirt so that I don't appear to be too nice of a guy. "I just have to know something. Whatever it is. Even if she really is gone, I have to know for sure. I can't keep wondering if she's going to come home."

Daniel's eyes widen, and for a moment I think they're going to expand as large as the glass frames around them. It's understandable. It's the first time I've ever suggested that Lauren might be gone for good.

"No, dude. She's okay. We're going to find her," Daniel says, the donut muffling his words.

I nod in agreement, smiling. "You know something? You're a good friend. As far as Asian pricks go, I mean."