Present: Concord, Massachusetts: 1869

Concord, Massachusetts: 1869

Jo in the attic is putting away old things from her room. Things that she has outgrown.

Everyone is gone. Meg left by marriage, Amy left by a voyage to Europe, Andy left angry at her, Laurie left because she rejected him, and Beth was content to stay in their childhood home.

She looks through old belongings. Hers and her sisters.

The sound of a book falling grabs the attention. It was Andy's journal. Jo carefully opens the book. It was an organized list of names and numbers. Upon closer observation it was a book of receipts for items such as pastries, ribbons, homeworks, and projects with price numbers beside them.

"Huh. So that was Andy's business."

At a final flip to the last page was a sketch of Teddy.

Jo paused to take in the details of the drawing. It was a near perfect replica of Teddy.

"I hope I'm not disturbing your writing..." Marmee entered from the stairs.

Closing the book shut, "I don't do that anymore." carefully placing it on top of the table turning to Marmee.

"You are much too lonely here, Jo. Wouldn't you like to go back to New York? What about your friend - Friedrich, was that his name?"

Jo remained standing as Marmee took a seat, "I ruined our friendship with my temper, just as I ruined everything."

Marmee stared at Jo with sympathy, "I doubt a sincere friend would be deterred."

"I wish that were true. If I were a girl in a book, this would all be so easy, I'd give up the world happily." the young woman just looked down in self pity.

"Laurie is returning, you know."

At this Jo looked up, "He is?"

Marmee carefully looked at her, "There was a letter from Amy, she's with Andy coming home: She was devastated about Beth and Aunt March is very ill - but Laurie will be accompanying them on the journey home."

Jo nodded thoughtfully, "That's good of him." Then she starts pacing anxiously.

"What is it?"

Jo started wringing her wrists, "Perhaps... perhaps I was too quick in turning him down."

"Do you love him?"

At this Jo just looked away, "If he asked me again, I think I would say yes... Do you think he'll ask me again?"

Marmee tried again, "But do you love him?"

Jo's eyes teared up, "I know that I care more to be loved. I want to be loved."

Marmee just shook her head in sadness, "That is not the same as loving."