chapter twenty eight.

Third Person POV:

Patience is a virtue.

A virtue that no one behind the closed doors of the medical wing currently possessed. 

It had been almost four hours since Gavino was rushed into surgery with Reese following shortly after. Jonathon, Nico, Pria, Alex, Ana, Max and Rocco were rooted to their spots behind the intricate black wooden doors that led to Reese's private medical wing. The wing was absolutely huge. Upon entrance, there were about half a dozen beds on the left, all fully prepared and surrounded by top grade medical equipment ready to be used at any time. There were couches positioned on the right side of every bed, and a bedside table on the left. On the right, there were flat screen TVs hung on the wall in front of all the beds. Four huge master bathrooms were located down the adjacent hallway and at the very back of the wing, there was another set of doors. Those doors led to the operating room.

Technically, everyone could have been waiting inside the medical wing instead of outside, but they were afraid to see through the small circular windows that peeked into the operating room. Seeing your family hurt was one thing, seeing them unconscious while being opened up was a whole different story. 

"What the hell is taking so long." Pria gritted out. She glanced at her phone for what seemed like the hundredth time in the last few hours.

"We should have gotten an update by now." Max paced up and down the hallway while running a hand down his evidently stressed face. "We should have gotten at least one update."

"The doctors are working on the two of them at the same time." Ana reminded them. "It's bound to take a while."

Ana's reassurance did little to ease the panic that was stirring through the families. The seven of them were getting increasingly more agitated as they waited for any news. Finally, after what seemed like hours but what was only a few minutes later, the doors opened and a young female doctor stepped forward. Immediately, everyone sprung forward as they hounded the poor doctor for answers.

"How are they?"

"What took so long?"

"Are they okay?"

The doctor cleared her throat and nervously smiled as she tried to control Reese and Gavino's restless families.

"Mr. Di Genova is out of surgery." She started. Her words seemed to do the trick and temporarily calm everyone down.

"We successfully removed two bullets, one from his left arm and one from his right shoulder blade. When he first entered the operating room he had lost a lot of blood, so we needed to do a transfusion. He will feel weak and disoriented for a few days but that is completely normal for gunshot wound victims. We also checked for nerve damage in his arm and everything looked good but there's really no way of knowing the full diagnosis of his arm function until he wakes up. Other than that, Mr. Di Genova is now out of the danger zone and resting comfortably."

Alex, Ana, Max and Rocco all exhaled breaths of utter relief. Even the tension in Jonathon, Nico and Pria's shoulders seemed to dissipate a little.

"Miss.Vanderbilt on the other hand, sustained severe injuries to her chest."

Their relief was short-lived.

"Miss.Vanderbilt's ribs were already broken, correct?" The doctor questioned. Jonathan stiffly nodded his head. "When Mr. Di Genova tackled her, he shattered her broken ribs that were trying to heal. Repetitive trauma to her ribs caused the broken ribs to puncture her left lung, consequently causing it to collapse. What she has is a severe pneumothorax. Air entered inside her chest cavity and was creating pressure against her lung. We had to insert a chest tube to reduce the air in the pleural space. The tube will make sure the air pressure decreases so the lung can re-expand and heal."