Year 3 Part 2 (chapter 12)

Word count: 1.6k
Warning: Mentions of death, execution and werewolves

Severus sighs. It's only the first day of school, and the half-giant has already messed up.

He's currently in the Hospital Wing, listening to Draco's complaints and whimpers. His parents are on their way, which only means more as well as louder complaints from the boy... Great.

Y/L/N is sitting on a chair next to Draco's bed as she tries to comfort him. Severus can tell that the girl knows Draco isn't in that much pain - she's just being polite and helping her friend.

"Stop whining, your father will be here soon" Severus says in irritation.

The boy groans. "And wait until he hears about this! He will get Hagrid fired! And his bloody chicken executed!" he exclaims, sounding like a drama queen.

That makes Severus raise an eyebrow. "Chicken? You seem to be in need of glasses. Hippogriffs are much larger than chickens, as well as more dangerous" he points out which makes Draco glare at his Godfather.

Just then, Lucius and Narcissa Malfoy enter the Hospital Wing. "My boy! Are you all right, Draco?" Narcissa asks with worry in her voice as she runs towards her son, grabbing his hand.

Lucius scowls. "It was that blasted half-giant, wasn't it? I can't believe Dumbledore hired him! That old man isn't fit to run this school" he says through gritted teeth, sounding furious as he taps the floor with his cane.

He then notices the girl sitting next to his son's bed. "Ms. Y/L/N" Lucius says as he greets her.

Y/L/N immediately rises from her seat. "Hello, Mr. Malfoy, Mrs. Malfoy. It's a pleasure to see you" she says as she bows, giving them a shy smile.

Narcissa smiles back. "Likewise. And no need to be so formal, please call me Narcissa. You are my son's best friend after all" she points out as she chuckles.

That surprises Severus. He knew that the two young teenagers were friends, but he didn't know they were best friends. Now that he thinks of it, they do always sit next to each other.

"Mother..." Draco pouts, probably embarrassed with his mother wanting to be on first name basis with his friend.

"Well, then it's only fair if you call me Y/N" the girl says, still smiling at the woman.

"Now, Cissy, if you are done with stealing Draco's friend, we may leave to press charges against Rubeus Hagrid and his hippogriff" Lucius states, wrinkling his nose. His wife playfully hits his arm.

"See you on Christmas, Draco. Ms. Y/L/N, Severus" Lucius says, bidding the three of them goodbye as he and Narcissa take their leave.

Severus can't help but think about what will happen to Rubeus and his pet hippogriff... Well, he just hopes that there will be no more incidents.
______________________________

Two days later, Severus decides to go for a stroll in the halls. He has just finished brewing Wolfsbane Potion for Lupin...

Albus gave him the task, of course. They can't have a werewolf teacher not being able to somewhat control himself during the full moon, right?

As he's walking, he suddenly hears crying. Confused, he decides to figure out where it's coming from.

Once he gets closer, he spots Y/L/N and Lupin outside the Defence Against the Dark Arts classroom. Lupin seems to be comforting the girl with a hand on her shoulder.

She must have been the one he heard crying... What happened?

When she nods at Lupin and turns to leave, wiping off her tears with her sleeve, Severus approaches his colleague.