Chapter 7 - Alliance

Vague Connections, Facing The Fakers

"We'll be fine, Dad."

Elissa retrieved her kit bag from the back of the old wheeled pickup and walked around to the driver side. Both of the girls were dressed more as Marine regulations dictated: jeans and shirts over T-shirts. There was no sign of any of the more rebellious attire that Samantha had been wearing for the week.

Tarot was standing in the open doorway. He ran his hand through his grey hair. "You know I'm more than happy to take you to the hotel."

"You know it'll be a pain for you," Samantha pointed out, "and then you'd have to deal with the traffic coming out as well."

She stepped back from hugging him; Elissa stepped in, adjusting the bag on her shoulder and sticking out her hand. "Thank you for the hospitality, s... Iggy."

Tarot took her hand and pulled her in for a hug. He noticed the slight hesitation on her part before she reciprocated. His head was on her right; blocking Samantha's view of his face.

"Look after my daughter," he said softly. There was no hint of threat in his tone; more of an instruction with the addition of a pleading note. Pulling back, he continued more loudly: "You're always welcome, Elissa."

Samantha had already hoisted her bag. "Take care going home, Dad. I love you."

"I love you too, honey. You take care of each other," Tarot waved.

"Don't worry, we will," Elissa waved in return. They walked up the ramp to the Loop station.

Tarot waited until he could see them no more and then climbed back into the cab. He did his best to wipe his eyes clear before starting the pickup. It would not matter how much daylight he had if he was blinded by tears. He was not quite sure but he was almost certain...

It was the first time Samantha had said those words to him since her mother had died.

--*--

The Loop transit car arrived in fairly short order.

Because it was only the middle of the afternoon, it was not busy; easy enough to grab seats side by side.

They were in no particular hurry. There were a few stations where they could shortcut across the spiral but that meant changing at least twice. With time on their hands, it was easier to stay in the one car all the way to Shepard Station, watching the city roll by in an ever decreasing, counter-clockwise spiral.

Sam let Elissa take the window seat ostensibly to allow her new girlfriend to take in the view. After a couple of minutes, she lay her head on Elissa's right shoulder.

At first it was a pleasant feeling - it signalled to Elissa that Sam had embraced their relationship beyond the frantic sexual exploration of the last few days. She only spared Sam a glance and a smile before returning to the cityscape. Moments later, however, she could feel the sobbing begin.

Elissa eased her arm across her girlfriend's shoulders, hugging her all the way to Shepard Station at the end of the line.

--*--

Sam's first stop was straight into the bathroom to wash her face.

Elissa dumped her kit bag near the door and punched the "do not disturb" button. Wandering into the main area, she sat on the first bed. It wasn't the same room, but it had everything they had when they had stayed before, just all aligned to the left of the door instead of the right.

Up until the invitation to the Tarot farm, Sam appeared the epitome of strength and cool, physically and emotionally. Perhaps a little too much fire and fury at times, but sure of what she was and what she could do, without over-confidence or arrogance. It was those qualities, as well as appearance, that had attracted Elissa in the first place.