Epilogue

The morning after

Sam lay on the bunk, feeling time slide past her.

Every second she lay there was a waste of time, as far as she was concerned. Countering that feeling was the knowledge that the last two weeks had been amongst the most stressful and harrowing time of her life. There had been little sleep through the small hours: it was easier to stare at the blank grey walls in the dim light from the corridor.

Every time she closed her eyes, Sam could only see the ghostly vision of Elissa's holovid, while they had tried to hold insubstantial hands.

The cell door remained unlocked; Sam had tested that far but had not felt brave enough to try further. She felt scummy and uncomfortable - it was her fourth day in the same clothes and it was completely unlike being out in the field on manoeuvres. She wanted a shower; she wanted a bath... she wanted to be in a jacuzzi with Elissa.

Anything and everything that Sam could think of kept tracking back to her need to be with the woman she loved. In a way, the holovid call was the worst possible end to a terrible fortnight. It's remote and unsatisfying nature only served to emphasise the distance between them; salt in the wound of their enforced separation.

By the time the chime sounded for ten minutes to her appointment, Sam was a bundle of nerves. She was off the bed as if it had burst into flames beneath her.

There was no sign of anyone else in the corridor or waiting by the lift. Her waiting was lonely and tense and the car arrived at precisely oh-eight-fifty-five; five minutes before her scheduled meeting.

Sam could not enter the elevator without having flashbacks to the afternoon two weeks prior, where it had almost cost her fellow Marine's foot. It had been a terrifying moment which cemented the idea that their lives were on the line, even during their evaluation. As the door closed and the car began its ascent, she found herself tensing for a breakdown that never came.

The overhead strip light which rippled along its length to guide her was unnecessary: Sam was already familiar with the office location, despite the mostly featureless surroundings. She placed her hand on the card reader panel, spoke her name and submitted to the retinal scan. After a moment, the double-layered, armoured doors slid aside.

The antechamber was occupied by a single desk on the right and a receptionist with short blond hair who regarded Sam with cold, piercing blue eyes. A simple, three metre bench was on the left and Sam stood by the far end rather than taking a seat. After a moment she began to shuffle, restlessly, paced a little and turned to find the receptionist still gazing at her. Further unnerved, she finally perched on the end of the bench, facing the doors to the Director's office.

After a few moments she realised her leg was twitching; she had to make a conscious effort to quell the nervous tick.

When those doors finally, quietly hissed open Sam rose quickly to her feet. At her glance, the receptionist gave no clue but continued to stare at the woman as she garnered what courage she could and stepped through the opening.

"Come in, come in... have a seat."

The Director was wearing a freshly pressed dark red suit that was just slightly too small for her bulk. Sam noted it, thinking it strange that a person in that position seemed unable to get clothes that fitted. She walked around the grand desk to greet Sam face to face, extending her hand.

The younger woman accepted the hand and the other on her shoulder, allowing herself to be steered slightly towards the single chair. She took the chair, while the Director slowly returned to the far side, trailing her fingers along the edge of the desk as she walked.