Chapter 15

"Y/n, do you mind delivering some files to Tony and then telling him to meet me in my office in twenty minutes? I have a business call in a minute," Pepper requested.

"Of course, Miss Potts," I said, taking the files from her.

Pepper smiled at me.

"Please, it's just Pepper," she said.

I smiled at her and nodded before walking to the labs where I knew Tony was. He was underneath one of his suits, tinkering away.

"Tony-"

"Do you mind handing me that screwdriver over there?" he asked, pointing in the direction of his workbench.

I saw what he was asking for and passed it to him. He thanked me and continued tinkering, before he swore and rolled out on his skateboard.

"Something wrong?" I asked.

Tony just shrugged.

"There's a fault in the wiring, but I can't seem to fix it," he said.

I regarded him and then the suit.

"Let me take a look," I said, placing the files on his bench and lying down on the skateboard.

I was glad I decided to wear pants today.

I rolled under the suit and looked at the wiring. It only took me a few seconds to figure out what was wrong, but Tony couldn't know that, so I stayed under for a minute longer before sliding out.

"Can I have the screwdriver?" I asked.

Tony handed it to me with an amused grin. I rolled my eyes at him and wheeled myself back under the suit. I worked away for a few minutes before I had it fixed. I heard the suit power up and Tony yelled my name. Suddenly I was being yanked out from under the suit and the thrusters began to power, leaving a mark on the ground where my face had been only a few seconds ago.

I looked to Tony who was knelt beside me, looking me over for injuries.

"You alright, kid?" he asked.

"Yeah, I'm fine," I said. "Why wouldn't you turn them off before trying to fix them?"

Tony laughed nervously and shrugged.

"Slipped my mind, I guess," he said.

I rolled my eyes at him.

"You could have died," I said.

He just shrugged again. I looked at him in exasperation and he grinned at me.

"Wanna help me make a freeze ray?" he asked.

I blinked at him in surprise. He pulled out blueprints from a drawer and started showing me what he needed to do to create the said freeze ray.

Quite a few minutes passed, and I was having fun working with Tony. It was easy to lose myself in the work with him, easy to relax.

We were finishing off his blueprints when someone cleared their throat behind us. I glanced up and saw Pepper with her hands on her hips and an amused smile on her face.

"Oh, Tony!" I exclaimed, picking up the files and handing them to him. "These are for you, and Pepper wants you in her office..." I checked the time. "Seven minutes ago."

Pepper rolled her eyes playfully at me.

"You and Tony are just the same with your inventing," she said fondly.

I smiled at her and she grinned back before looping her arm with Tony's and leading him to her office. I sighed and shook my head before walking to my office.

I hadn't forgotten about handing the files to Tony – I had just been a tad preoccupied with helping him make a freeze ray.

On my way to my office, my phone began ringing. I picked it up.

"Y/n," Phil Coulson said. I heard gunshots in the background. "We need all of the Avengers right now. There's an attack at the Shield headquarters."

"I – oh my goodness, right away," I said. I looked up to where I always did whenever I addressed Jarvis. "J? The team is needed at the Shield headquarters."

"On it, Miss L/n," Jarvis said.

"The team has been notified," I said to Coulson. "I'd estimate three minutes to get ready and then another three minutes via the quinjet."

"Thank you, Y/n," Coulson said.

He hung up and I rushed to the jet hangar where most of the team was. They were only waiting on Sam, Clint, Tony, and Wanda.

"Be careful, you guys," I said.

I hid my shaking hands behind my back, but Pietro noticed. He pulled me in for a hug and chuckled softly.

"We always are Printsessa," he said.

"We are the Avengers, you know," Clint said, jogging towards us. "Your lack of faith in us is slightly disturbing."

I laughed once and squeezed Pietro tightly before letting go. Tony arrived in his suit and ruffled my hair before jumping off of the building and flying ahead. The others arrived and then they were all off, leaving me standing alone, watching the jet fade away.

I paced around the jet hangar, unable to let the anxiety calm. My thoughts were clashing against each other.

What if they got hurt?

They're the Avengers, they'll live through it.

What if the attackers have advanced technology?

They've fought against aliens, Hydra, and robots. They'll be fine.

Even though I continued to reassure myself, the anxiety just wouldn't leave.

"Miss L/n?" Jarvis said, causing me to jump. "I think it would be a good idea for you to sit down. I promise to alert you when they get back."

I nodded slowly, more to myself than to Jarvis.

"Okay. Thanks, J," I said.

I left the hangar and took the elevator to the common area where I sat on the couch. I didn't know what to do with my hands, so I grabbed the tv remote and searched through Netflix until I found something that I liked and pressed play.

None of the words made sense. It was all just sound.

It's okay, I thought to myself. They'll be okay. They've gone on missions before. They'll be fine.

I shook myself and the tv started to make sense. I continued watching the tv, pushing the team from my mind.

"Miss L/n?"

I blinked as I woke up.

"The team are back, Miss L/n," Jarvis said.

I jumped up off of the couch and rushed to the elevator. I arrived at the hangar where everyone was getting off of the jet. Unable to hold back, I rushed to Pietro. He held his arms open for me and I jumped into them, holding him tightly.

"Worried about me, Printsessa?" he asked, a chuckle rumbling through his chest.

I let go of him and grinned.

"Nah, not you," I said, pushing him away. "Wanda!"

Wanda grinned at me brightly and pulled me in for a hug. I hugged her tightly as the others laughed.

"Well, you know what a successful mission means," Tony said. "A celebration!"