Chapter 22

The first thing I noticed when I woke up was a blinding headache. It felt like my skull was being struck with a sledgehammer.

The second thing was that my hands and ankles were restrained. After blinking a few times, my vision cleared and I was able to see that I was in a small room. I was tied to a chair with my arms behind my back, and there was a door directly in front of me. To the left of the door stood a small table, and the room was illuminated by a single hanging light bulb.

I tried to reach for my telekinesis, but nothing was there. It felt like my power was asleep. I started to panic for a split second before focusing. I was trained to get out of situations like this.

I started untying the ropes holding me. Ropes? Seriously? The best thing to use would be zip ties, seeing as those were more difficult to get out of. I had just finished loosening the ropes binding my hands when the door in front of me opened. I grabbed the rope to stop it from falling to the ground, and bared my teeth at the familiar face that greeted me.

"Derek Hale," I spat.

The man grinned at me as he walked closer. A bodyguard followed behind him, a gun in his hand. I tightened my grip on the ropes that were supposed to be binding my hands.

I grimaced and tried to move back as Derek came closer. He gripped my chin in his hand and I glared at him. I wanted to punch him, but if I showed that my hands were no longer tied, I would be screwed. I would lose the element of surprise, and the man with the gun was still a problem.

"You know, if you hadn't been such a bitch, we wouldn't be here," Derek said. "After you and Stark humiliated me, I decided to look around for rewards for your capture." He smiled at me and stroked my cheek with his thumb. "Who would have thought that Hydra was looking for you?"

My blood ran cold and Derek noticed. He smirked at me and let go of my chin, pulling back to view me. I really wanted to punch him. Or kick him.

"They'll be here in a few hours," Derek said casually. "And I bet you've noticed you can't use your powers. That'll be because of the drug we injected you with."

He smiled a snake's smile at me and I bared my teeth at him. He sighed and shook his head.

"See you later, Y/n," he said, opening the door. He glanced back at me one more time. "Or not. I'm not sure what Hydra will do to you."

The door slammed shut and I flinched slightly. I glanced at the bodyguard. He stared directly ahead and my lips thinned. A plan started forming in my head, and so I waited.

An hour later, I felt my power start to return. It was slow, and I still couldn't quite reach it. The bodyguard continued checking his watch, and a bead of sweat slid down his neck. The door to the room opened and a young woman with dark hair and hazel eyes entered the room. She had a small build and held herself nervously, as if she didn't want to be here.

"You're late," the bodyguard growled.

The girl flinched.

"I'm sorry," she said hoarsely.

The bodyguard rolled his eyes and gestured to me. The girl took a syringe out of her pocket and tapped it against her palm a couple of times. She glanced back at the bodyguard, and he gestured for her to stick it in.

When the girl came close enough, I punched her in the side of the head. She dropped to the floor like a stone, but I was already moving. I picked up the syringe with my power and shot it into the bodyguard's neck. I jumped up and fell back to the floor, and the chair broke with the force. The bodyguard was still distracted with trying to remove the syringe from his neck, so I grabbed one of the broken chair legs and whacked him across the head. He fell to the floor, unconscious, and I breathed raggedly.