Chapter Three - 18+ Years Later

-18 + years later-

I strut my way through the streets of Metropolis stopping on my way to get coffee and a bagel before making my way into the offices of the Daily Planet. I stepped off the elevator and made my way to my desk

"Astrid! Lane! In here!" I glanced put o see that my Boss Perry White was calling us over. I left everything on my desk and headed inside.

"Lane." I nodded

"Astrid." she huffed in return. Lois Lane and I weren't friends exactly, neither were we enemies. You might us call us competitive frenemies. We had interned together and I was the one to get a job here straight away which pissed her off. She worked and Metroplis National for three years till the Daily Planet finally had an opening and she snapped it up. Since then we had fought over big stories. Sometime literally arguing. It got that bad that White had to intervene.

"So, we've finally got the go ahead from the Canadian government to on base with what the US Army have found up in the middle of nowhere." He took the 'Lane and Astrid' coin out of his desk. The coin is something he had made, the top bosses and Perry didn't want their best writers to be poached so White came up with this to stop our arguing. There was the top best story, usually front page if not always and there was second best. It was down to luck to decide.

"Ready?" we shrugged and he tossed it it spun in the air before coming down and Percy caught it and put it on his other hand. He showed it to us.

"Yes!" I grinned. I got the big story and a trip out of the country. Lane huffed out a sigh, something she was very good at when it came to me. I smirked in her direction. "Well this has been fun but buh-bye." I waved at her as she left and I got the details of the assignment. 

---------

The helicopter landed as close as it could to the camp. I hauled the door open and looked out, I was told to dress warm and well I glad I listened, the cold hit my face like a brick but at the same time it was refreshing. My gaze briefly was caught by one of the workers helming his arms up so he could lift me down. I took the help gratefully.

"Thanks" I turned and walked way from the helicopter as approached someone who looked like they were in charge of something. "Hi." I greeted

-3rd Person-

Clark had been drifting around the world for years in search of something. After he lost his father and graduated school he didn't know what else to do. from city to city, job to job, small towns and in the middle of the sea to the almost twin of the antarctic. When the helicopter landed and the door opened he stepped back seeing the face he hadn't seen properly in 19 years.

Clark had kept up with her over the years from a far, it was mainly things he had heard through the grapevine after the two lost touch a few years after Aria had moved away. He looked her up and knew that she had become one of the most renowned journalists for the Daily Planet. From what he read, her determination for injustices and keeping important matters on peoples minds made her sought after.

He helped her down but either she didn't recognise him or she was so wrapped up in the reason she was here, the brief glances made nothing click

"Miss Astrid, how you doing?"

"Good she nodded

"Jed Eubanks, Artic Cargo." Jed introduced himself as the two shook hands

"Nice to meet you. So how far's the station?" she wondered loudly over the noise of the grounded helicopter

"Camp's just over the rise. I'll walk you over." Astrid nodded taking out her sun glasses. It may have been drop dead cold but it was still bright out "Joe can take your bags. Joe!" Jed called over and the two turned around. Clark answered to his fake name but from the distance and in all the winter gear, Aria still didn't catch on to her childhood best friend.

"Help her out." Clark nodded as was already grabbing the bags

"Be careful with those they're heavy." she gave him a brief smile before turning back and walking away from helicopter and towards the station.

-Aria-

"I gotta confess Miss Astrid. I'm not a fan of the Daily Planet. But I gotta say those pieces you wrote while imbedded with the Mantega family of the mafia, well they were pretty impressive." Jed commented making me chuckle

"Well what can I say? It's the best cure for a writers block when your staring down the barrel of a gun." I played it off as we came to a stand on top of the rise. I was a little in awe of the operation they had going on. But my mind quickly turned back into work mode. We made our way down and I took off my jacket.

"Miss Astrid. I'm Colonel Hardy, U.S Northcom. Dr Emil Hamilton from DARPA." i held out my hand but the Colonel didn't take it so I shifted to Dr Hamilton who did shake it. "You're early, we weren't expecting you here till tomorrow."

"Hence, why I showed up today. Let me make this clear for you, okay? The only reason I'm here well two actually is 1. The dispute story coin went in my favour and 2. We're on Canadian soil and the appellate court overruled you injection to keep me away. So if we're done comparing dick size can you have your people show me what you discovered?" I sassed resting my hand on my hip. I caught Dr Hamiltion smirking and then led the way. One of the fellow Air Force soldiers brought up the information.

"NASA's EOS satellites, pinged the anomaly first. The ice shelf plays hell on the echo surroundings but there is defiantly something there." I was informed

"Submarine? Maybe soviet era?" I theorised tilting my head slightly.

"Doubtful. That's 300 meters." Colonel Hardy replied "Considerably larger than anything we know they built back then."

"But here's the spooky part" Lieutenant Danvers added bringing up something else " The ice surrounding the object is nearly twenty thousand years old." Okay, yeah that was spooky.