Chapter Twenty Two - Little one

I was at a check up, laying back with my stomach laid bare and gel covering it, Dr Barlow ran the wand over my stomach. Turning my head I look at the screen as they come up. They as in just one and i don't know the gender. I was wanting to know but they were never forthcoming. Parents like us and they were shy.

"Well, I think we've struck gold today." Dr barlow smiled back at me "Are you still wanting to know the sex?"

"Yes...Yes please." she nodded and looked at me

"Congratulations, it's a girl." my jaw slacked at the news. A little girl, I let out a short laugh.

"A girl? Are you sure?" I questioned

"As sure as i am that your pregnant. Yes. Now would you like some print outs of your baby girl." I nodded not finding anymore words, she printed them out and left me to clean myself up before leading onto the consultation. Once that was done it was time for back home.

"So your a girl." I talked to her "Is it bad that i thought you were a boy? I would have named you Clark or Jonathan, something to honour your Dad. I never really put a mental list of girls names. That probably bad of me, or more like me than I care to admit." I chuckle

"Your Dad would have said something of a one track mind, made a joke out how things never really change. Not gonna lie to you, it breaks my heart you won't get to meet each other. you'll know him of course but you'll never know...him. I can only imagine how happy he'd feel knowing you were here. Knowing that he would have a chance to be..." I stopped talking getting all choked up.

"For the past few months I've been putting off knowing you. I'm sorry, it was just really hard and I wasn't ready. I'm still not ready but you're nearly done cooking in there and well you ain't gonna wait forever. So I promise from now on, we're a team. You and me against whatever life throws at us. I won't let you down."

--------

There was a knock at the door. Getting up from the sofa, I cautiously made my way to it. No one visited me these days, I shouted at them to leave me alone and they gave me the space I yelled for. Well most.

"Who is it?" I question

"Martha." i smiled a little and opened the door. Seeing her there I hugged her glad she was here. in truth my parents and her were the only ones not to be scared off and that I had let in since Clarks death. Letting her in I made us some drinks and brought them over.

"I went to the Daily planet to finally pick up Clarks things." she chuckled a little as I set the hot mug down in front of her "I don't know why, nowhere to put them now. I lost the farm." she told me and it was like being sucker punched.

"What?" I ask "How?"

"I'd been behind on the payments for a while. Truth is the house is too big for me to live in by myself anyway." she had some of her coffee.

"You should have told me, i could have helped out." I reached to take her hand "You know you're welcome here any time, for as long as you need." She rested her cup down

"Thank you, Aria. That's very kind." she then moved to rest her hand on my stomach as they kicked hard. It hurt a little but it felt weird more than anything. "Very lively today." I chuckled and she took her hand away.

"I've found a little place that suits me just fine, right by the diner. I'm not here for help. I'm here because when I saw Mr Perry, he told me you hadn't gone back since you fainted. I thought the last time we spoke you said you were going to." she stated concerned

"I got as far as the front door, downstairs." I admitted sighing "I just couldn't do it." she nodded in understanding.

"The whole world is mourning" she let out a little sigh "Grieving over a symbol. Everywhere I look I see that 'S'" i smiled fondly, it meant hope

"I hear what people say. They talk like they knew him. But they didn't know Clark. And i can't stop them and look at them and tell them how proud I am of my son. You're the only one that knows. Who feels what I do. Burdened by a secret on top of grief. I came all this way because i wanted....because i wanted to see you. The two of you. Tell you I understand." That made me tear up.

"I will never love anybody the way I loved him. Sitting here wishing that, I had never lost touch with him, that I admitted my feeling for him sooner, that we had more time together. That he knew...knew he was going to be a Dad. I miss him so much." i wipe away my tears softly.

"I know, sweetheart." she smiled gently at me.

"Martha, you know if there is anything you need, I'm here." I took a deep breath calming myself back down. She took my hand once more.

"There is something you can do for me, honey. Come back to the living." she requested and not long after left me alone to think. I grabbed my phone and called my Dad.

"Sweetheart. Is everything okay? Is the baby okay?" he asked concerned

"I'm fine, we're fine. Everything is fine, will you come over at some point? I need to clear out the spare room. I'm gonna ask Mom to come and help as well." I replied. He let out a deep breath.

"You had me going for a second. Yes. I will take some leave and come over next week." He agreed

"Thank you, besides. I have some more news for you, you wanna here it now or later?" I wonder finishing my drink.

"You're giving me a choice? Normally you want to see me almost have a heart attack with your kind of news." He made me laugh. "Tell me when I get there."

"You got it. I will speak to you later. bye Dad."

"Bye, sweetheart." we hung up and I made the same phone call to Mum