Back Home

This is in a different timeline where Luz and Amity don't get together. Nothing bad happened, there were just no moves made.

Third Person P.O.V.

Four years. It's been four years since Luz Noceda and her rag-tag group of weirdos defeated Emperor Belos and went back to the human realm. Four years since she left the place where she felt most at home. Four years since she's seen her friends. Four years since she's seen that one witch that she can't seem to get off her mind. Four years of sending letters back and forth via Owlbert's weekly visits. Four years of waiting for her mom to let her go back.

Today, Luz spends her 18th birthday with only her mother as company. She should be happier than she is, but going as long as she has without friends takes a toll on you. 

Luz Noceda is still considered an outcast in the human realm, and it didn't help that when she came back, all she felt was sadness. She wasn't nearly as effervescent as when she left, since she was missing the only people—other than her own mother—that cared about her. The other kids started out by messing with her like they used to, but after trying so many things and getting no reaction, they gave up, and everyone just left Luz alone.

But now, sitting at the table behind her cake, putting on a smile for her mom's picture, Luz was starting to think that she should just let it all go. Maybe try to find some friends. Possibly even a boyfriend or girlfriend.

"Mija, are you okay?" Luz's mother asked after she saw her daughter space out and her smile start to droop.

Luz shook her head and put on a fake smile. "Yeah! Just great!"

"Are you sure? I knew I should have made chocolate cake," Camilla shook her head.

"No, mom, it's not that," Luz sighed. "I just think it's time to let go, you know?"

The older Noceda cocked her head. "What do you mean, mija?"

"Well, it's not like you're gonna let me go back to the Boiling Isles, so it might be time for me to make some friends," Luz shrugged and avoided eye contact. "Instead of spending all week waiting for the next letter that I know will just make me feel worse."

Camilla looked at her daughter with empathy. She knew that Luz was missing her friends that she made in the demon realm, but she couldn't bring herself to put her back into immediate danger like that. It's not that she doubted Luz's abilities—she'd seen her magical prowess when they all defeated Belos—she was just scared that Luz would get herself into something that she couldn't get out of, and there was nothing Camilla could do to stop it. But, there comes a time for everyone where they need to do as Luz was saying, and let go. And in Camilla's eyes, it wasn't Luz that needed to let go.

"Luz, cariño, look at me," Ms. Noceda's voice turned serious, and Luz snapped her head up to face her mother. "The demon realm is a dangerous place. I couldn't bring myself to let you go back. I can't bear the thought that you may get hurt."

Luz sighed and looked away again. "I understand..."

"But," This made Luz look back up to her mother with a questioning expression. "You're an adult now. You can make your own decisions. So, this is my gift to you." Camilla held out a small rectangular box wrapped in birthday wrapping paper.

Luz hesitantly took it and tore the paper off, which revealed a normal, white box. It was kind of heavy, and Luz had a slight idea of what it could be, but she didn't want to get her hopes up. She looked up at her mom, who was smiling warmly.

"Go ahead and open it," Camilla encouraged.

Luz slowly slid the lid off of the box and froze. Inside, surrounded by pink paper, was a key with an eye at the top. There was something resembling a scar running down the eye, and Luz knew where it was from, which made her heart swell at the memory. After that emotion passed, her entire body was filled to the brim with excitement and disbelief. She quickly stood up from her chair and looked her mom in the eye, searching for some sign that she was just pulling her leg, even though she knew her mother wouldn't be that cruel.