Daydreaming and sleepless nights

(Requested by SapphireDraken173)

Amity P.O.V.

Sitting on the little dock, staring out at the boiling water that could burn off all my skin in an instant, I couldn't help but feel at peace. Not because of the waves screaming—almost literally—against the burning—literally this time—sand, but because of the person curled up into my side.

With a blanket underneath us, a basket filled with human delicacies to our side, and some wonderfully sour, yet sweet drink named, "lemon-aid?" chilled in some ice, the date couldn't have been more perfect.

I hummed contentedly, gaining the attention of the human cuddled up next to me.

"You seem happy," Luz observed, her grin showing in her tone of voice.

"How do you expect me not to be?" I started running my hand through the chocolate hair of the girl at my side, loving the way she sighed and leaned into my touch. "I mean, Belos is gone, the portal's open... you're still here with me..." My voice trailed off for a moment. "Life seems pretty great."

"And someone's turning fifteeeeen sooonnnn~!" Luz sang out, bopping my nose.

"Ugh, don't remind me," I groaned.

"What's with the lack of enthusiasm? Fifteen is a milestone!" Luz exclaimed, sitting up to see my face better. "And we'll be the same age again!"

Luz's birthday had been a few months prior, and she didn't miss a chance to rub in the fact that she was older than me.

I only shrugged in response to her enthusiasm, looking down at my hands while fiddling with the hem of my shirt.

"Hey, are you okay?" Luz lowered her head to meet my gaze. All I could supply was a nod, and that did not satisfy the human. "I can tell when something is bothering you. Spill."

I exhaled aggressively, ruffling the tufts of hair that hung over Luz's face. "It's just... weird now,"

"Weird?" She tilted her head in the most adorable way, forcing a small smile out of me.

"Well, with my parents gone because of the whole siding with Belos thing, everything's different," I raised my shoulders, throwing out my hands in some sort of expression to accentuate my point. "Ed and Em have been great, don't get me wrong. It's just..." I took another deep breath, pausing for a moment to form the correct words.

"I get it," Luz took one of my hands in hers, giving it an affectionate squeeze. "You're used to them being there, even if you didn't like them there."

"It's not like they celebrated my birthday anyways," I shrunk, recalling all the years where I only received a pat on the shoulder, the occasional awkward hug thrown in for special milestones. "The most I got one year was a bit more allowance, but I guess I'm just getting used to their absence, even though it is greatly appreciated."

"Well, if you ever need some company in that big empty manor of yours, you know who to call!" Luz smiled brightly and gave me a loving kiss on the cheek.

Even after dating for nearly 5 months, we haven't gone so far as to kiss on the lips. Sure, I want to. But I can't bring myself to ask for more when I'm already receiving so much affection through cheek kisses, cuddles, hand holds, and lingering touches. I'm also not completely sure if Luz wants to kiss me. Yeah, I could probably just talk to her about it, but that is far too nerve wracking for my little gay heart.

"Well, since you offered," I started, looking down at the blanket beneath us. "Ed and Em are going to their partners' houses for the weekend. Wanna spend the night or something?"