Part 4 (Loyalties)

Anton

I'm a calculated man. Nothing I do is without purpose. I didn't abduct Ophelia Simons on some whim out of desperation. This was carefully planned. Three years in the making. I had every intention of taking out her father but my feelings for her grew exponentially. Nineteen years I dreamed and planned on getting my revenge, but revenge seemed to not be so important in the wake of her presence. She is what's most important. I guess I traded one obsession for another. Trust me I seen a shrink about this. I was told to quit while I'm ahead. That the basis of my obsession wasn't rooted in genuine affection and if I don't leave her be the effects could be catastrophic... for her at least.

I should let her go more so of the fact she'll probably never love me but I'm in too deep. I'm committed. In the end, relationships aren't even about love. It's about tolerance and endurance. I don't know where this fairytale shit got up in the mix. When are they going to finally tell women this romance bullshit has always been a marketing tool? A man only needs to provide and treat his woman decent. Don't get me wrong loving me would be the cherry on top but for now I can tolerate her hate.

Vick

The day where I would have to atone for my sins has finally come. Everything that I spent years trying to build I can feel crashing down around me. Why does my daughter Ophelia have to be the one to pay the price? I should have saw this coming. I can't even tell my wife about my time as a spy. Or the reason I was forced into early retirement. The U.S. government wanted Intel about an insurgent camp. I was sent to gather that Intel. What I found was not an insurgent camp but a small village of people. I told my superiors this, but they decided I was wrong and still bombed the small peaceful village. There was only one survivor. A boy. Now that boy has grown into a man, and he wants revenge. I'm forced to give this man what he wants for Ophelia's sake. Technically I will be betraying my country because some of these individuals on the list are high ranking government officials, but my family means more to me than some misguided loyalty in a country. Once I give this list of names, I'll just take our family and relocate to a remote place where no one can find us.

My wife Eva is currently at work while our youngest daughter Cecilia is at her private school. Cecilia is still shaken up a bit about what happened on the night Ophelia was taken. Her nightmares have eased but I could tell she's not my same little girl. My family will never be the same. There are a million things I could have done to prevent this, but I had got too comfortable over the years and let my guard down. That's what a happy family life would do to you.

The man that's holding my daughter captive has a reputation. He's built a company of elite very efficient mercenaries most are ex-military, making billions. Nations around the world employs his people when they don't want to get their own hands dirty.

I sit in my car with the secure burner phone the man sent me. He instructed me to call when I make a decision. The phone is set up on a secure network. He answers the video call quickly. "Mr. Simons, what a pleasant surprise." He's being sarcastic. What I want to do is mop the floor with his pretty boy face.

"I want to see and talk to my daughter." He leans back in the seat and steeples his fingers together. His eyes are blank and cold revealing no emotion whatsoever.

"Ophelia," he calls looking straight into the camera. "Come say hi to your father."

My baby girl's angelic face appears in the camera. She's glowing and seems to be in perfect health, but her eyes. Her eyes look as if she's defeated and there's something more... Suddenly he begins touching her like he's familiar with her body. The wave of relief that had washed over me from seeing her alive and well freezes like a block of ice. And I know without a shadow of doubt something way worse than merely kidnapping has transpired between them.