6

I hate him

I hate him. I hate his voice. I hate the way I've dragged Heather and her family into the chaos of my failing marriage.

"Get out from my sister's house," I snarl. "I won't talk to you unless you do."

"Okay." Jared's voice is placating, soothing. "I'm going. I'll call you back from my own mobile, okay? And you better pick up, Iris. Otherwise, I'll just be at Heather's all day – "

"I will pick up your damn call. Just get out."

He hangs up. I send Heather a quick text.

I'm sorry. Didn't know he would go find you.

Her reply pings back seconds later.

Not your fault.

Remember. Whatever you choose, I'll support you.

My mobile buzzes and The Weather Girls' It's Raining Men starts playing loudly. Everyone in the store turns to stare. Whoops. I swipe up quickly and hop outside.

Jared wastes no time in wheedling. "I'll buy anything for you, I swear. And Janice? She means nothing. She's insignificant. She can't compare to you. I'll fire her if you want me to." A pause. "Though I still don't understand why you're so worked up."

His voice lowers. "I mean, I thought that was part of the deal we made when we got married. You were cool with me cheating as long as you could spend my money. Why are you changing your mind all of a sudden?"

I roll my eyes. "I'm not mad because you're cheating, Jared," I hiss. "I'm mad because you broke your promise!"

A still beat. Then puzzledly, Jared replies –

"What promise?"

It's like the last straw on a camel's back. I explode with anger. "You promised you won't have sex with the household staff, you douchebag!"

It's not just the store; now the entire village square is looking at me. But I don't care. I've completely lost my cool.

"That's why you're angry?" Jared splutters. "But why does it matter who I'm having sex with? I'm already cheating on you! Janice is no different from anyone else!"

"She is!" I yell. "She is different! She's staff!"

"So?" Jared yells back.

"So it makes me feel extremely humiliated, you insensitive prick!"

There. It's out. I've said it. The real reason why I wanted him to make that promise. Why I'm okay with the secretary and the actress and Oakham mistress, but not the maid.