19

HOSHI pokes his nose in my hair

"I know it looks like hay," I say drily, "but it's really not."

The colt ignores me and continues nuzzling. When he finally concludes that it's not edible, he trots off to where his mother is. For the first few seconds, Maiko ignores his frisking about, then abruptly, she breaks into a canter. Tossing his head, Hoshi follows.

Mother and son romp around the green grass, nudging and pushing, playing in the brightness of the afternoon sun. I watch them, and I can't help smiling. They look so happy, so content.

It makes me miss my mom even more.

There's a tell-tale honk on my right. I don't even turn my head.

"Hey Gacho," I say.

Over these few weeks, I've come to fear the goose less. I've also learned that the trick lies in always keeping a treat in your pocket. Most of the time, Gacho snatches it and runs a three-mile sprint in the other direction, but I'll take that. Anything as long as those teeth aren't snapping at me.

I pull out a banana I snuck out from the kitchen. Gacho's beady eyes gleam. Breaking off a sizable chunk, I toss it onto the grass in her direction. After a second, I throw her another one.

"That's for your partner," I say. "What's his name again – Gandalf? Go bring it home now."

Gacho looks at me. She flaps her wings and does two loud honks. Gandalf the grey gander waddles up, and instead of running away as they usually do, the two geese straight away start nibbling.

When they're done, Gacho toddles up to me. Her eyes are unblinking as they meet mine.

I hold my breath.

The goose pecks a bit around my shoes and legs. She wanders up to a patch of grass right beside my waist, within petting distance. Then she tucks her head under her wing and promptly goes to sleep.

I could cry from the honour.

Tired out from their rollicking, Maiko and Hoshi have now taken to the shade of an elm tree. Maiko lies down first, then Hoshi comes, snuggling into the crook of her front feet. The mare licks his ears.

"I miss you, Mom," I whisper to no one in particular.

Gacho pokes her head out from beneath her wing. Honk, honk.

Akai sits down on the grass next to me. He's holding a lime-colored tin.

The words To Bean or Not To Bean are printed around the circumference in fancy lettering.

Something heavy thuds in my stomach.

I keep my eyes on Hoshi and Maiko. "How much did you hear?"

"I was there before you came in," Akai says quietly. "A shopping errand for Anita."