21

HEATHER takes a sip of the coffee

HEATHER takes a sip of the coffee. "This is nice!"

The waitress – the same girl who served me and my father – beams proudly. "It's our in-house blend."

"I'll take eight tins," Heather declares.

The girl looks as if Christmas has come early. After she leaves, I tell Heather, "I think you just made her day."

Heather laughs. "I figured after the chaos you guys created in here yesterday, I should do something to save the reputation of our family name," she says teasingly.

There's an awkward silence.

My sister's smile fades. She busies herself with stirring the coffee. "Though I suppose you no longer need to worry about that."

Before I can answer, the waitress returns with a plate. "The chef's lemon curd cake specialty, on the house. A thank you for your generous purchase."

Heather takes a bite, and I watch her face light up in genuine appreciation. As she starts complimenting on the taste, I reflect on how my sister has always been this way. Demure, easy-going, and generous.

Even during university, it was the same. We attended the same institution, but our lifestyles couldn't have been more different. While I was out partying with the frat boys, Heather was hosting charity events as student council president. When we graduated, our father gave each of us £100,000. I spent mine on a new car. Heather spent hers on a three-bedroom flat – so she could give it to a friend who had recently become a single mom.

"I take it you don't approve of me disowning the family name," I say carefully.

Heather taps her spoon against the side of her cup. "I think you were being reckless. I can understand your resentment of Father, but did you really have to go that far?"

"I'm tired of him, Heather. I'm tired of his excuses, of his lies, and the way he doesn't seem to treat me like an actual person." I lean forward. "He told me he plans to marry me off to Scotland! Like – that's his solution to the whole problem!"

"I know." Heather tilts her chin a little, something she always does when she feels like she's going to get challenged. Sort of like a pre-emptive act of defence. "I suggested it."

I stare at her for a second. Slowly, I recline back in my seat. "You think I should be married off to Scotland?"

"I simply asked Father if he knew of any wealthy bachelors of good repute. I had no idea he would pick somebody from Scotland."

It feels like the floor has been swept out from underneath my feet. My voice drips with sarcasm. "Wow. Since when were you and that man so chummy?"

"Don't give me that," Heather snaps. "I'm just looking out for you."

"Well maybe I don't need you to look out for me," I retort. "I've been doing fine here on my own."

Heather scoffs. "Sure, by deceiving and siphoning off someone's family. You've never had to lift a single finger all your life, Iris, and you expect me to believe that somehow, you're now a farm helper? And after one month, still not fired, or exposed for fraud? Did you take a leaf out of Amber Lagrave's book?"