13

akai 👁

INU has tracked Maiko to a grassy knoll on the edge of our estate. As we round over to the other side, I immediately see the entrance to a cave. The golden retriever pads confidently in and within seconds, I hear a familiar whinny.

There's a sliver of light in front of us that's just a bit too bright to be moonlight. As we come closer, a voice squeaks out,

"Shoo! Shoo, wolf! Go! Git!"

I frown. England doesn't have wild wolves.

The cave opens out into a sort of mini clearing, and there's Maiko. I heave a sigh of relief – then do a double-take.

"What are you doing here?" I demand. A sniff of the air. "And why does the cave smell like lavender?"

Iris looks like she's about to cry. But with Maiko foaling, I've no time for her hysterics, so I let her sink alone to her knees. By the light of my oil lamp, I can clearly see Maiko's progress – the ground around her is damp; her water broke some time ago. Carefully I inspect the amniotic sac. The membrane is a smooth white, and the foal is coming out feet first. So far so good.

"Hey there big girl," I say gently. Maiko turns her head at my voice. "You're going to be a mama. Just a little bit more, okay? You're doing so well, just keep going. I'll be here."

Iris creeps up behind me. "Is she okay?"

"She's fine." I say, a bit more curtly than I meant to. Iris moves quietly away.

I don't touch Maiko, but I keep my eyes focused on her for the next fifteen minutes. With this being her first foal, there are about a dozen things that can go wrong. Beside me, Inu crouches down. His eyes are keen and alert, as if he too, is watching out for signs of any danger.

The tiniest twitch of movement – there's more of the foal coming out – its front legs break the sac ... and then with a silky plop! out comes the baby horse. It wriggles, taking the very first breath of its life. There's a tiny white star on its forehead that contrasts against the rest of its black coat.

I take a moment to close my eyes as my entire body sags from relief. A sigh escapes from my lips as air whooshes up from my chest and out in an exhale. There's the hardest part of the process done. Now all that's left is observation. I don't plan to move Maiko and her foal until at least 24 hours have passed – which means I'm not leaving this cave either.

Backing away, I take a seat in the dirt at the other end. Inu places his big head in my lap and I start scratching at his favorite spot behind the ears.

"Good job. Good boy," I whisper. "Here, treat." His jaws crack down on the biscuit noisily and I watch him, amused.

Iris Monet is staring at me. My cheeks prickle with heat as the air in the cave slowly turns warm. Must be heat from the lamp. I'm contemplating putting it out when she speaks.