9

"YOU got a job as a what?"

I laugh. "You don't have to sound so shocked about it."

"I am very shocked about it," Heather says over the phone. "I mean, a farm helper!"

"It is a drastic career change," I admit, "but it's not my real job."

"What do you mean?"

I flop back onto the bed. Now that I'm officially staff, I've been moved out of the guest bedroom and into the accommodation downstairs. The staff's living quarters are much plainer and any other day I might have moped around and complained, but right now I'm too preoccupied with my thoughts to care.

Maybe it's a test. That's the only possible explanation I can think of. Before his son takes over the family business, Hayate wants to make sure he gets a taste of the hard life first. That's why he made Satoh Akai the farm manager. As an exercise in the importance of honest work and humility. It won't be the first time rich people have done such a thing; the Obamas did it, as well as the Beckhams.

Yes, that must be it. And good for him too. Can't have my future husband squandering away his fortunes. Besides, this means I'll be spending nearly every day with Akai, which means multiple opportunities to execute the Iris Monet Guide To Hooking A Man. Which means shorter time needed to achieve success, and wedding bells on the near horizon! I resist the urge to wiggle my toes in excitement.

Flipping around so I'm lying on my stomach, I pour everything out to my sister. The Satohs, the company, and my plan to snag the first-born son. I told her about the job interview, and the tales I spun up. Honestly, my quick ingenuity scares me.

I finish my tale, and there's silence for a whole minute.

"Iris." Just that one word is enough to catapult an image into my mind – Heather standing in the middle of her living room, eyebrows pinched as she presses her thumb against the bridge of her nose.

"Iris," she says again. "I don't think you understand how marriage works."

"It's business. Remember what Father said? It's all business."

"You're using him as your role model? Really? Have you learned nothing from your previous marriage?"

"I have!" I protest. "My marriage failed because Jared is a cheating jerk. Ergo, I just need to make sure Akai won't cheat on me."

Heather makes a sound of derision. "What, you'll tie him up in a basement all day?"

"Nothing that barbaric. I mean, look at you and your husband. He doesn't cheat on you. Why? Because he's in love," I emphasize. "People who are in love with their partners don't cheat."

It takes a few seconds for Heather to process this. "Your new plan is to get a rich man to fall genuinely in love with you ... while you cold-heartedly spend his money?"