2.27 Finding Howard

June 13, 2:48 pm

Finding Howard Gunderson was not as easy as Richard expected.

The hallways and corridors of the Matheson Courthouse seemed labyrinthine, and even with their ability to just walk through walls and doors as they explored, it was still a challenge for Richard and Billy to find where the holding cells were located. Finally, Richard had the idea that they had to be close to the courtrooms themselves. So they navigated back to where Howard's last hearing had been held, and then Richard led them out the back of the room into a familiar hallway, and then down a staircase. In the end, they discovered that the holding cells were in the basement, directly under the hearing rooms themselves.

They found Howard's cell, but even though the boy's name was written in grease pencil on a white placard, the cell itself was empty. Just down a side corridor they discovered a central guard station that looked more like a reception desk that you would see in a hospital. Behind the desk sat two men in uniform, and down the hall, one lonely figure sat on a plastic chair, making notes on a thick manila folder in her lap.

As they approached, Richard recognized the figure as Carla Grayson—the detective who had overseen his case, and had spoken to Michelle at the funeral. She was sitting alone outside of the last interrogation room on the left. The walls between the rooms and the corridor were glass, and the whole scene was brightly lit and surprisingly modern, although the fluorescent lighting was harsh and unforgiving. Carla sat with her back to the glass panel, as if she was purposefully not watching what was happening inside.

Richard and Billy eased up to the glass next to her, and looked into the tiny room.

Howard Gunderson sat at a table, wearing shackles on his wrists and ankles. Across from him was a middle-aged woman in a frumpy floral dress, who was squeezing a pink handkerchief so hard it looked like it would fall apart in her hands. Next to her was a young man in a suit.

"Howard's mother, and his lawyer?" Richard speculated.

He was about to slip through the glass wall when Billy stopped him with a light touch to his elbow.

"We can listen from here," he said, and put his hand to the glass.

"That works?" Richard asked.

"Well enough," Billy said.

Richard placed his hand on the glass and found that what Billy said was true. Somehow, the vibrations of the voices on the glass made the conversation inside completely audible to the two ghosts, even though any living person in the hall would not have been able to hear a thing.

It was immediately clear that the meeting was not going well.

Howard sat with his back to the window, but his posture showed how disgusted he was. His arms were crossed and his head was down. His mother and the lawyer were trying to get him to talk, but he was obviously beyond cooperating with anyone.

"Honey, Mr. Offret is here to help us," she said. "I know he's been appointed by the court, but he still works for us. At least, that's what he tells me."

"That's right, Mrs. Gunderson," the lawyer said, looking intently at the boy. "Howard, I've been reviewing the facts of the case, and I have some ideas. But if you won't talk to me, I won't be able to give you the best representation I can."

"Please, Howard!" his mother said, giving the handkerchief an especially hard twist. "This whole thing has shattered my nerves. Especially after what happened at the hearing. We just need to understand..." She paused, and when her son didn't reply, she continued. "Mr. Offret says that he thinks it's possible that you won't go to jail, even after... even after what you did at the hearing."