2.46 The Liminal Curtain

June 14, 9:30 am

Michelle shivered as she looked out at the dark, steady rain. She was making tea at the stove in Keith's kitchen, and she could see him outside on the back porch. The coming of the rain after so many warm days was a relief, but she never liked how a grim and rainy day like this sucked the color out of everything. Not only was the sky gray, but the mist that had been thrown up by the rain on the hot city obscured everything, including the trees in the backyard. The tendrils of it snaked across the grass, and the world seemed unnaturally calm and quiet.

She had draped a blanket across Keith's shoulders earlier, and even though it wasn't cold by any stretch of the imagination, he had pulled it up close to his chin. Pil sat to Keith's left, his big bare feet on the low table that sat between the porch chairs. They were both sheltered from the rain by the porch roof, but the overhang of it only made the day seem even gloomier.

The teapot sang, and Michelle poured three cups of tea. Earl Grey for her and Pil, and a spiced Chai for Keith.

By now she should have been back home. The plan this morning was to make Keith his breakfast, and then take him to work. But he'd never gotten that far. Shortly after breakfast, he had fallen into a strange depression, and although he hadn't yet descended into tears, she could tell that he was struggling against them. And to her surprise, when she suggested he skip out on returning to work, he had quickly agreed. She had called his boss and told her that he needed some more time. She was very understanding.

I almost wish he'd gone, she thought. I don't know if sitting at home on a dark and rainy day is any better for him than being at work. At least the library is bright and cheerful.

As she carried the three cups out onto the porch, she could hear the sky rumbling. It was a deep and oppressive growl that came from everywhere. It wasn't loud, but it was constant, and it didn't help raise anyone's spirits.

"Here is the tea!" she said, far more brightly than she felt.

"Thanks Babe," Pil said, taking his cup. "A good cup of tea on a dreary day like this might be just what we need."

Keith shivered as he reached for his cup. "I'm sorry, guys. I'm being such a downer. I really wanted to go back to work today. I'm sick and tired of feeling like crap."

Pil reached over and squeezed Keith's forearm. "It's okay, Beastlet. Nobody's in a hurry." He thought for a minute, then snapped his fingers. "Hey, what do you say to a movie? We could get out of this gloom and go see something light. I suggest a comedy, and the more mindless, the better. What do you think?"

Michelle settled back into her seat with the cup. The rain was falling harder now, and the sky had grown thicker and lower, even since this morning. "With as crazy as this city feels, I'm not sure I want to be in a movie theater," she said. "Not after what happened last week."

Keith sipped his cup loudly. "Yeah, I kind of agree. I think staying close to home is a better idea." He looked up, and caught Michelle's eye. "But you two really don't need to stay here. I'm fine now. I just want to hibernate and lick my wounds."

She wasn't sure it was a good idea to ask for any details, but on the other hand, she didn't want to pretend that everything was okay when it clearly wasn't.

"Pea, do you have any idea what happened this morning? When you came downstairs, I thought you were feeling a lot better."

Keith stared into his cup and took a long time before he spoke.

"I don't really know, honey. If I told you, you might think I'm crazy."

Pil turned his head slightly. "You know we'd never think that, K. With what you've gone through, it's okay to have some roller coaster emotions. And you can always tell us."