2.42 The Last Flicker of Hope

June 14, 7:00 am

I could almost learn to love this feeling, Richard thought as he and Billy ran through the rain.

When it started, Billy had checked in with Richard to make sure he had mastered the ability to let the rain pass through him, rather than chop him to pieces. But the look on his face told Billy all he needed to know.

"It's like a massage, but it's everywhere, inside and out. It feels amazing!" Richard said, turning his face up to the sky. The drops cut through him and splashed under his feet. He could even feel the splashes on the pavement, like bees buzzing against his soles.

Billy hadn't allowed him to pause and enjoy the feeling. The boy was adamant that they get back to the Courthouse as quickly as possible. Richard still felt it was a long shot that Justin would show up, but he also had to admit that being out of that dark bedroom was a relief.

After crossing State Street, they both headed toward the front doors of the Courthouse. It was Billy who stopped Richard before they got there and pointed off to one side.

Richard recognized both Carla Grayson and Morgan Jensen immediately. And something told him that while they were gone, something strange had happened at the Courthouse. The reporter's cameraman had the pair in his sights, and there was a brilliant white light that illuminated them under the reporter's black umbrella.

With Billy in tow, Richard ran through the rain and crowded close against the pair. He instinctively avoided standing between the women and the cameraman until he realized that was ridiculous. They wouldn't be able to see him, no matter where he stood.

The Detective was speaking as they arrived.

"...he was not 'allowed' to escape. We'll be able to provide details on how he accomplished the break in the near future. But please understand that this is still very early in our investigation. All we can tell you for now is that Howard Gunderson is at large, and we are asking the help of the public in finding him."

"Oh, Fuck!" Richard screamed into the reporter's faces. Of course, they didn't hear him and didn't react, even as Richard stamped his feet on the wet sidewalk. "Fuck, fuck, FUCK!"

"He's not here," Billy said, dejected. "How the hell did he get out of the prison?"

"It sounds like he broke out," Richard growled.

The detective was still speaking. "... as we believe he is armed, and should be considered dangerous and unpredictable. When he left the Courthouse, he was dressed in his orange prison issue clothing, and he may be wearing a dark blue SLPD jacket, stolen from the Courthouse."

"How would he steal a jacket?" the reporter asked.

"We're not prepared to give those details at this time..."

Richard turned and stomped a half-dozen steps away from the reporter. Billy tagged behind him, saying nothing, but Richard was so frustrated he barely knew the boy was there. He was pacing now, up and down the sidewalk.

"It sounds like someone helped him," Richard said, wringing his hands in front of him as he paced. "Who would do that? And why?"

"I don't know," Billy said. "But I have a bad feeling about it."

Richard stopped. "Why? What kind of bad feeling?"

"Like... maybe we're too late. Like maybe Justin's already been here. And that he's now back in Howard."

"Fuck!" Richard yelled again. He never expected Howard to get out of his prison cell, so hadn't considered Justin possessing him again to be a threat.

"If Justin still wanted to get to Keith, why would he have to use Howard? Why would he possess someone in fucking prison, with a whole world of people out here walking around free?" Richard paused, a kind of desperate hope in his eyes. "Or could Howard have possibly escaped on his own?"