Chapter 21

We were browsing through the store after the five of us had left work early. Marlee was the assistant for Stefan. If he did any of his work. He made Dove cancel three of his morning in the morning and went out, Dove said. After nearly five hours in the big boutique and Garret ten minutes analysis on every dress Iris found a beautiful lemon-yellow dress that one sleeve was a long sleeve. The top was a crop top and the bottom was a matching shade high waist long skirt. The long sleeve reached five inches above the ground. Her left shoulder was bare as it had no sleeve. Whereas, Tris found a dress that had a see-through layer on a short dress that had also low-neck cold shoulder. It reached the ground in pretty thin black net embroidered with a gold design on it. Dove had found a pink satin V- Neckline floor length with thin straps and a low back dress. The top was like a tight crop top, from the abdomen it flowed. I didn't find a dress that was exactly great. So I was going to check my cupboard and then if I couldn't find anything I will check the boutique again for a dress after my doctor's appointment. I went home tired after the heavy dinner I had at the restaurant. I brought back left overs. Maria was glad I had eaten. I felt to sleep tired.

As I went downstairs for breakfast I saw only Maria in the kitchen.

"He—uhm—had to meet a..." Maria tried to answer fully aware as I was looking at his seat.

"He had to meet a friend. The meeting went long. By the time he dropped 'the friend' was dropped home. It was too late to come back home. I know the story. I don't care." I snapped at her. She hung her head low and served me my breakfast. I breathed out when she took my plate.

"I am sorry I snapped at you. I just thought he would come because of the appointment at least. Or out of even some guilt." I said.

"No one knows about the two of you. And the way he is dealing with his public image is terrible. Even after the marriage. I know why the two of you got married. The entire staff knows. But, we all would never say anything. Every single person who knows you dislike the way he is treating you. We all feel very bad for you. We want to help but..." I cut her off.

"There is nothing you or anyone else can do. I know." I said softly as I looked at my hands on my lap. She kissed my forehead and pulled to her side as she rubbed my back comfortingly.

"Now, go to your appointment before it too late." She said. I nodded my head and went to the car. Alan opened the door as he gave me a small smile.

I walked into Dr. Pine's office. He was not there as well. I sighed as I sat in the chair.

"I see you got all your tests done today." Dr. Pine said as she looked at the file and then closed it.

"Yeah." I said with small smile.

"The results are great. You look great and now just eat and exercise. Keep your body healthy. I don't think your husband would like it if you faint and are ill again." She said.

"It would matter to him that much." I said.

"Why would say that? You should have seen him the way he came in holding you in his arms. Shouting! He didn't let any man touch you. He specifically asked for a female doctor and female nurses round the clock for you. Before your brother arrived he was looking terribly worried. Pacing around, tugging his hair. For a little while I thought he was going to cry as well." She chuckled. I furrowed my eyebrows in confusion.

"I don't think so." I chuckled awkwardly.

"Oh trust me! You should have seen him today as well. He made asked for the test to be run three times making sure the results are the same each time and only then he asked me to share the results with you. He said he had to come in early because he go out. That is why explained the two of you coming at different times." She said with a smile. I smiled back completely shocked but, didn't show it. I bid her goodbye and left the hospital. He was here. Yet he didn't want to see me and be there next to me. And everything about him caring. That confused me the most. How could that be true. He hates me and doesn't care and I know it. It had to be wrong. If was correct then why would act heartless with me and tell me I am a useless asset, a leverage. But, when it comes me unconscious and in hospitalised he cares. Nothing in front of me. She must have mistaken me for someone else or him for another loving significant other who looked like him. I decided to look through my closet one last time before deciding to go and shop.