Chapter 3

[Y/n]

I sit at the table in his large living room while he patiently prepares tea. No one says anything to anyone, he is simply content with the triumph he has achieved. I look at the snow-white table and watch my distorted reflection. Now I feel his gaze on me and I furrow my brow.

"Satisfied?"

"Oh, and how." He replies with his French accent and places his tea in front of me. "You're not going to give me any trouble now, are you?" He smiles, correcting his glasses. "Drink up, it's probably been a long time since you've had such warm rarities."

"Don't talk like I'm completely broke." I growl and eye my mug suspiciously. "I'm stealing to be sure. I normally have no problems, but this time I picked a bad time to suddenly pop out with something like this."

"That's right, the poor thing didn't take its daily two-hour nap?" he says quietly.

"No, I didn't have my nap." I reply slowly, then grab my cup. Something tells me there's no point in being cruel to him, especially since he only took me in because he needs me for business. I doubt he remembers much from our friendship.

"What are you thinking about?" He asks me, straightening up in his chair.

I immediately tense up and look at him, furious.

"I'm choosing a method of murder." Shit, so much effort for nothing... "Since when do you live here?"

"Actually... I've rented most of the flats on the market, which you might have considered a great target."

"How much do you make now...?" I say, but Chamber still has the same look on his face and doesn't even look at me. It pisses me off, again.

"Don't get so nervous." He cuts off and puts the pictures on the table. Of some building. "Now, to the point."

I look at what he put in front of me and then look at him again.

"What does this have to do with anything?"

"This is Fracture." He starts calmly. "I don't know if you're aware of it, because Valorant hides most of its problems from the public - It is, somewhere out there, Mirror Earth. It's even worse than ours, rotten, cruel. As you know, your abilities come from a stone called Radianite: both Earths have vast deposits of it. They differ a little from each other, but that is not important. What is most interesting is that on Mirror Earth we all, but we all have our own copies that have a mind."

This would mean that somewhere out there is exactly the same person as me, with the same powers - which side is she on? Does he have feelings?

"Copies, however, are inferior to originals in terms of... evil. Overall, all of life along with this Earth are pure evil. Maybe I'm exaggerating, not pure, but they are worse. Understandable?"

All in all, I don't know what else could surprise me. I nod to confirm, and he just happily corrects his glasses, which have slipped off again.

"Well... I am acting completely against VALORANT so far." He smiles, getting up slowly, standing behind me and leaning against the back of my chair. "I've made a contract with my copy." A smile of self-satisfaction creeps onto his lips. "We intend to incite both Earths."

The realization hits me. That would mean war, and I... I'm supposed to help them do that. I look at him, and that horrible smile is still on his lips.

"I don't mind anyone on either side. But that's the way business rocks, I sell guns, not lollipops."

"What will my role be in this?" I clench my jaw and he slowly moves away from me and points to a bundle of folders that I don't even know when they appeared.

"One of the VALORANT sold me information on all of them. Except for their own selves, of course, but I already know that wanker." He pats the stack, then looks at me again. "You'll read this and find out what they're like. You'll extract information from them, sow the seeds of destruction throughout the operation. They'll stop trusting each other, and when you're at full strength, you'll help us sneak in there. We'll sort out the rest ourselves."

"VALORANT also has a partnership with Mirror Earth?"

"Something like that." He stretches. "But we're just about to tear it apart."

"What's in it for me?" I ask, crossing my arms over my chest.

"Enough money for the rest of your life and finally peace of mind. I'll never appear in your pathetic life again." A chill blows from him.

"Sounds tempting." I say simply and finally take a sip of tea. My throat is dry from the whole thing.

"Are you in?"

"Of course."

"I didn't expect anything else from my friend!" he says enthusiastically.

I look at him for a moment, then shake my head.

"We're not friends." I say, and the corner of his mouth twitches gently. "Since you chased me out."

"Oh, please... Of course I would never leave you like that completely. I've always watched you from afar."

"Don't make excuses anymore-"

"Two months ago you had food poisoning after eating sushi out of a plastic wrapper."

"I don't even remember myself. Maybe I did." I shrug my shoulders and get up from my chair. "Will you give me a flat, one of which you rented? I really miss the luxury." I add, although that's not entirely true. I just don't want to pay rent. I look at him, to which he just smiles gently.

"Sure, [y/n]. Take this one. I'll visit you and update you on our plan from time to time."

"When you say 'our', you mean yours and your copy?"

"Exactly right. Now, go through the file and let me know if anything is unclear." He nods, then gathers his things and simply leaves.

At least I have a more comfortable bed... And a mug of cold tea.