Chapter 3: Burnt

Tadashi's POV

I awoke in a concrete room with a locked metal door. The floor was cold and hard. Morgan laid next to me, still unconscious. I wish Baymax was with me.

Morgan had serious looking burns on her legs, arms and the right side of her face. Her teal dress was burnt on the top and completely charred at the bottom. Her hair was also singed. I pulled it out of the bun, allowing it to flow out of its rough position. One of her heels was missing, probably the cause of her fall. One thing I noticed that I hadn't before was a silver necklace with a circular charm around her neck. It was still intact, though by the looks of it, would be very fragile from now on. The circular charm had a diamond on the edge, so to say it looked like a hydrogen atom without the nucleus.

I was so busy examining Morgan's injuries, that I forgot to work with my own. I stretched my right arm over her to check her left arm when a searing pain shot through it. I looked at it to see that my blazer had been burnt badly around my arms and I had quite the burns covering my skin. I would tend to myself, but since I wasn't the one with practically my entire body covered with burns (it was mostly just my arms and some of my face vs. her legs, arms, back and face) I needed to help her first.

I had unzipped her dress and pulled it down on the top, not to be weird or anything, but to check her upper body. Her back, shoulders, and collarbone were covered with burns from her lying on her stomach. I didn't dare pull the dress of completely, but when I studied medicine for Baymax, I learned the processes of tending to burns. I needed medicine though. And I didn't have any. I couldn't to much to help her, so I left her there and began to examine myself.

My arms and face were definitely burnt, I could feel it. I took off what was left of my blazer and my t-shirt. My sides and back stung from being burnt. I needed medicine and fast.

I looked around the room, my eyes tired from having been in a smokey room filled with ash and flame. In the corner was a pack. I tried to stand and walk to get it, but I had difficulty because of my burns. My upper body screamed with pain as I grabbed the pack and walked over to Morgan, collapsing on instant.

I opened the pack to find water bottles, crackers, gauze, bandages, some burn medicines, and fresh clothes; a pair of mine and a pair of Morgan's.

I quickly pulled out two water bottles and the bandages, gauze and medicine. I poured the water onto her burns, emptying the bottle quickly. Then I applied medicine to her injuries and wrapped them with gauze and bandages. I did the same to myself.

The painful feeling of water on burn stung, yet it was filled with relief. It obviously hurt, because Morgan woke with a noise that fit somewhere in between a groan and a scream.

I reached into the back and pulled out two more water bottles and the crackers. She seemed to disoriented and in pain to notice that the top of her dress had been pulled down so that I could apply the ointment upon her back. She looked over at me with no signs that she recognized me.
"W-where am I?" She looked around the room and then her gaze focused on me.

"Do you remember your name?"
"Y-yes. I'm Morgan Baylee Halter."
"Do you remember anything about yourself?"
"Of course. I was born in the San Fransokyo Hospital to Miki and Chase Halter. I love brownies and probes and robotics. I go to SFIT. I have a younger brother. And that's all I can remember."

"Hmmm....not enough. Can you remember where you live? Your birthday? Brother's name?"
"I'm fine. I live in an apartment. I was born on 12-17. My brother is named Jaime. You are in my....robotics class. First hour,"she smiled. "You are....Tadashi Hamada."

I sighed with relief. Then she looked down at herself and shrieked. I chuckled,"I didn't look at anything. I work with medicine as well as robotics. See?" I gestured to the container of the burn medicine and then to her back, which was seared. Her tensed body relaxed at the comment. "Here." I handed her the change of clothes.

"Who...how? These are my...mom's," she spoke softly and sadly. Then I remembered the week that she didn't come to school. When she returned, she said her mom had passed away from a heart attack. The second generation in her family that had died that way. If Morgan passed away like that, she would be the third. "Turn around."

I turned away from her and faced the wall as she changed into the new set of clothes.
"Ok. I'm done now."
I turned around to see her in denim capris, a Mickey Mouse t-shirt that was a size to large for her, and black flats. She still wore the circular necklace.
"They gave me my capris. Must've been mixed together or something."

"Ok. Now you turn around."
She turned to face the wall as I changed into a white t-shirt, a gray cardigan sweater, a pair of brown pants which were rolled up at my ankles , and my mint-colored sneakers. I looked again in the pack for my hat, but I couldn't find it. Hiro must still have it.
"I'm done."

She turned around, wincing slightly when the capris pulled on her leg. The burns showed around her lower leg and ankles.
"Do you need more ointment?"
"Yes, please."
I reached over to grab some, also wincing at the movement. My arms are still burnt. I would have to remember that.

After applying some of the medicine, we had a small meal of crackers. Morgan looked around the room.
"Is there a way out?" she asked between a mouthful of crackers.
"I don't know."
"What about the door?"
"Locked from the outside."
"Are you sure?"
"No. I've been tending to our injuries."
"Well then, let's go."

She stood, wobbling and clenching her teeth, and walked (more like waddled painfully) to the door. She pushed on it, groaning in pain when she had to strain her arms. Then she pulled on it only to find that either way it was locked. After trying the same things over and over, she had had it.

She threw her tightly clenched fists against the door, screeching in pain and frustration, tears slithering down her cheeks. I rushed over to to help her stand as she allowed herself to slide against the floor to her knees, which were burnt. I had to keep her off of her injuries.
"Woa, woa, woa, Morgan, calm down!!"

She sobbed and wiped a year from her left cheek, which wasn't burnt. Then she looked at me and gestured for me to cover my ears. I covered them and she looked up at the ceiling and screamed. Loud.

"Morgan, what's going on with you?"
She sniffled and wiped tears from her eyes,"I hate being trapped. It used to be a punishment for me, to be trapped in my room."

I understood. She didn't like being stuck in one place. And she wanted out more than anything.