7

The pub was filled with the sound of the patrons of the bar singing loudly. After Tommy and Juliet's talk, the ban on singing was lifted and the men were more than pleased to warble along to the song sung by Grace and Juliet.

Juliet knocks on the door to the Snug and walks in with a tray containing a bottle of whiskey and glasses.

"Did you want whiskey as well?" Juliet asks Tommy.

"No. Just beer" Tommy replies.

"Why no whiskey Tommy?" Arthur asks. "Are you expecting trouble?"

"Jesus Christ Tommy," John says. "What the hell made you let them sing? It's like they're strangling cats out there"

"Alright twenty is the play," Arthur says. "Come on"

Juliet looks at Tommy's cards which he had drawn and then John's before snorting at how shit John's draw of the deck was.

"What's funny?" John asks.

"Nothing," Juliet says, collecting the empty glasses before leaving the Snug.

"It's about time Tommy," John says, his eyes watching the door close.

"Time for what?" Tommy asks.

"Time you took yourself a woman," John says.

"Just play the bloody hands," Tommy says, watching the brunette they were talking about move through the Garrison with a smile.

"You stay the way you are Tommy," Arthur says with a chuckle. "Remember what dad used to say. Fast women and slow horses-"

"Will ruin your life" John joins in.

"Come Josephine in my flying machine," The men all sing loudly as car headlights shine through the window of the Garrison.

The door opens and a man steps through the door and everyone falls silent.

"Holy shit, it's Billy Kimber," Harry says.

"Holy shit indeed," Juliet says.

"Is there a man here named Shelby?"

No one dares speak or move so Kimber draws a gun from his jacket and shoots the ceiling, causing everyone to duck as part of the ceiling crumbles.

The Shelby brothers walk out of the Snug, confidence exuding from them in waves.

"Harry, get these men a drink," Tommy says. "Everyone else go home"

Tommy's eyes lock onto Juliet at the last four words and the woman turns to leave but Kimber shakes his head.

"The brown-haired one stays," Kimber says.

Grace scurries out of the door and Juliet nods to Harry, assuring she would be alright. Juliet pours the drinks before placing them on the table before Tommy gently grabs her wrist and places her hand on his shoulder. Juliet knew what it was, it was a symbol to Kimber that she wasn't to be touched.

"I've never approved of women in pubs, but when they look like this one, I make exceptions," Kimber says, his words causing John and Arthur to fix him with piercing glares. "Oh she has three guard dogs, so between us girls sweetheart, which ones have you fucked?"

Juliet fixes Kimber with a glare that sends ice through his veins, not that he would admit it.

"Oh come on doll face. There's no reason you and I can't sit here and have a conversation sweetheart,"

"I've got a reason. I don't like you" Juliet says.

"Such a witty thing," Kimber says. "But I'm here on business"

"You said you want men called Shelby," Tommy says. "You've got three of them"

"Right, I never heard of ya. And then I did hear of ya, some little didicoy razor gang. I thought to meself, so what?" Kimber says. "But then you fucked me over. So now you have my undivided attention. By the way, which one am I talking to? Who's the boss?"

"Well, I'm the oldest," Arthur says.

"Ha! Clearly," Kimber scoffs.

"Are you laughing at my brother?" John asks, his voice low.

"Right. He's the oldest. You're the thickest," Kimber says. "I'm told the boss is called Tommy, and I'm guessing that's you, 'cause you're looking me up and down like I'm a fucking tart. And you're the one this beauty is clinging to as if you're her protector"

"I want to know what you want," Tommy says.

"There were suspicious betting patterns at Kempton Park," The accountant says. "A horse called Monaghan Boy. He won by a length twice and then finished last. With £3,000 bet on him."

"Which one am I talking to?" Tommy asks, clearly goading Kimber. "Which one of you is the boss?

"I'm Mr Kimber's adviser and accountant,"

"And I'm the fucking boss, okay? Right. End of parlay," Kimber shouts. "You fixed the race without my permission. You fucking gypsy scum! What, live off the war pensions and these poor old Garrison Lane widows? That's your level. I am Billy Kimber! I run the races and you fixed one of them. So I'm gonna have you shot against the post"

"Mr Kimber," Tommy says, throwing Kimber a bullet. "Look at it. That has my name in it. It's from the Lee family. You are also at war with the Lees, Mr Kimber, am I right? The Lees are attacking your bookies and taking your money. Your men can't control them. You need help"

"Perhaps we should listen to what Mr Shelby has to say before we make our decisions," The accountant says.

"Right. The Lees are doing a lot of talking at the fairs," Tommy says. "They have a lot of kin. They're saying the racetracks are easy meat because the police are busy with strikes. Now, we have connections. We know how they operate. You have muscle. Together we can beat them. Divided, maybe not"

"Mr Kimber, perhaps we should take some time for reflection," The accountant says. "Possibly make arrangements for a second meeting"

"I admire you, Mr Kimber," Tommy says. "You started with nothing and built a legitimate business It would be an honour to work with you, Mr Kimber"

Nobody works "with" me. People work "for" me," Kimber says, throwing a coin on the floor. "Pick it up, pikey"

John stands up and Juliet's face contorts with anger at Kimber's blatant disrespect of gypsy people.

"Sit. Sit down," Tommy says.

"I see you haven't quite gotten that girl of yours trained yet, maybe I could teach her a thing or two," Kimber says. "The coin's for your ceiling"

"Thank you, Mr Kimber," Tommy says.

"We will be at Cheltenham," The accountant says.

"As will I," Tommy says.

"Sorry, you had to witness that Jules," John says.

"One of us is walking you home," Tommy says.

"How many men do I have to say this to? I don't need your protection" Juliet sighs, turning to Tommy. "The only thing I need protection from is your idiocy Thomas"