14

"Get another glass," Tommy says, barging into the Garrison and demanding a drink as soon as he locked eyes with the woman that wouldn't leave his mind. "Can you make a toast?"

"I'm a barmaid, I can make a never-ending amount of toasts Thomas," Juliet says, giving Tommy a small smile. "May you be in Heaven a full half-hour before the devil knows you're dead."

"I like that toast," Tommy says. "Means I may get a slice of peace before burning in hell for eternity"

Tommy raises his glass to Juliet who does the same before they both take a drink.

"May I ask, what are we celebrating?" Juliet asks.

"Contract of employment," Tommy says, sliding the contract towards Juliet.

"Bookkeeper, Shelby Brothers Limited," Juliet reads, her eyes scanning over the contract before taking the pen from Tommy's outstretched hand and signing her name on the bottom of the contract next to Tommy's own name.

"I don't like that word, 'Limited'," Tommy says, shaking his head.

"To be taken seriously, you have to be limited," Juliet says. "Unchecked ambition is a dangerous thing to have"

"That's what worries me," Tommy says.

"I had the phone put in," Juliet says. "It's in the back"

"Huh. If I knew someone else who had a phone, we could call them," Tommy says, humour dancing in his voice.

Something about hearing humour in his voice was soothing. The notion that he was still human. He was full of unchecked ambition which would clearly bring unchecked trouble for him and yet he would face it without fear. It was admirable in a twisted way and also terrifying, that someone could face death without a trace of fear.

"And since we're celebrating, Grace had this delivered from Rackhams department store," Juliet shows Tommy a bottle of champagne. "Will you open it?"

"No. Save it for a special occasion. Besides, I have your first job for the company. I want you to get that to my sister, Ada," Tommy says.

"You don't see your own sister?"

"No one does. She's hiding from me,"

"Every time you open your mouth I get more confused,"

"I was told she goes to a bathhouse on Montague Street on women-only days. She goes in disguise so I need to get someone inside"

"What am I delivering?"

It's an invitation to a family occasion. I want her there," Tommy says. "The invitation is also extended to you if you so wish to attend. Tell her there'll be a truce"

"Am I delivering bait for a trap?"

"If you take that contract, I think you'll find it doesn't say anything about asking questions,"

"I'm a writer Thomas," Juliet says. "I always ask questions. It's part of the job description. I like to have a grasp on everything"

"Just give her the invitation. And put that thing in the cupboard till I say," Tommy says and Juliet nods.

Juliet stands at the bathhouse, the invitation clutched in her hand as her eyes scan the face of every woman who walks into the building before she spots the signature Shelby blue eyes.

"Ada Shelby?" Juliet asks.

"Who are you?"

"A messenger," Juliet says. "Thomas offers a truce"

Juliet hands Ada the invitation which she takes, albeit begrudgingly.

"You should be careful with him you know," Ada says. "Tommy Shelby looks out for no one but himself. Regardless of the cost to others. You'll do well to remember that"

"Have you looked beneath the surface, Ada?" Juliet asks. "Maybe if you look a little further you'll see there's a heart buried under all of the ice and stone. Anyone can see his strength, but you have to look closely to see Thomas' soul."

Ada looks at the woman in mild surprise.

"You don't fear him as the others do," The woman says. "I bet that really irks him"

"I have a talent for irking people," Juliet says. "I have been told many times that I have a tongue too sharp for a woman"

"Now that is a talent I admire," Ada says with a soft smile.

"I must be off Ada," Juliet says. "But one small word of advice for you"

Juliet leans forward to whisper in Ada's ear.

"Make them wish they had you," She whispers. "And always be one step ahead of everyone, even family"

Ada smiles at Juliet, the woman was something else. Something Small Heath had never had and desperately needed and for that she had gained Ada's admiration.

"I can see what my brother sees in you," Ada says. "Maybe you'll be good for Thomas. God knows he needs someone to put him in his place"

"If there's one thing I'm good at, it's knocking people down a couple of pegs," Juliet says and Ada grins.

"That I don't doubt,"