11

Juliet shoots John a confused look as to why she was in one of the Shelby meetings. He had pulled her from behind the bar and into the Snug as the rest of the family filtered in. As Tommy walks in, Juliet fixes a glare on the man, that was so full of ice, Tommy could have sworn the temperature had dropped.

"Why am I here?" Juliet asks.

"Because I want your opinion too," John says.

"All right, John. There's only one man guarding the house," Tommy says, shaking his head at Arthur's offer of whiskey. "What's troubling you?"

"Polly, you know what it's been like since Martha died," John says.

"God takes the best first,"

"The truth is, my kids have been running bloody rings around me. Running barefoot with the dogs until all hours,"

"Pol, give him ten bob for some new shoes. Is that it, John?"

"Thomas," Juliet says, giving the man a look and the man raises his hands in mock surrender, not wanting to anger the woman anymore knowing that she could make a sword just as mighty as a pen.

"Now, what's your point?" Polly asks.

"What the kids need is a mother. So that's why I'm getting married,"

Everyone's eyes flick to Tommy who was yet to show a reaction to his brother's news.

"Does this poor girl know you're gonna marry her or are you just gonna spring it on her all of the sudden?" Polly asks.

"I've already proposed. And she said yes,"

"I think there's a shell about to land and go bang," Tommy says, lighting his cigarette before holding the match out to Juliet who lights her own cigarette but offers no thanks to Tommy.

"It's, um, it's Lizzie Stark,"

Laughter ripples from the other room's occupants as John breaks the news to them. Arthur and Juliet snicker as Arthur covers his face.

"John! Lizzie Stark's a strong woman, and I'm sure she provides a fine service for her customers," Polly says, not containing her laughter

"I won't hear the word. Understand? Do not use that word," John says.

"What word is that, John?" Tommy asks.

"You know what word that is," John says.

"Everybody bloody knows," Arthur snickers with Juliet as she takes a drag of her cigarette.

"Everybody can go to hell," John says.

"Whore? That word. Or prostitute? How about that one?" Tommy goads his brother.

"All right, I want it known, if anyone calls her a whore again, I will push the barrel of my revolver down their throats, and blow the word back down into their hearts,"

"Men and their cocks never cease to amaze me," Polly says and Juliet takes a drag of her cigarette before speaking.

"John, Lizzie Stark never did a day's work vertical," Juliet says and the rest of the occupants in the room laugh and even Tommy couldn't help the smile that fell on his face.

"She's changed. All right, people change," John snaps. "Like with religion."

"Oh, Lizzie Stark's got religion, eh?" Tommy asks.

No, no, she doesn't have religion, but- Well, she loves me," John says. "Now, listen, Tommy. I won't do it without your blessing. But of all the people in the world, I want you to see it as brave"

"Oh, it's brave, all right," Arthur says.

"Brave is going where no man has gone before. And with Lizzie Stark, John, that is really not what you'll be doing," Polly says before breaking into laughter as Juliet tries not to laugh.

"Welcome her to the family as someone who's had a hard life," John says. "All right, because I need someone. All right, the kids need someone."

"Tommy, we've been done over," Finn says, bursting into the Snug.

"Juliet come on, you can watch over Finn for me," Tommy says and the woman nods, taking the youngest Shelby's hand into her own.

"Can we play Tommy?" Finn asks.

"And what does that entail?" Juliet asks.

"Sitting in his car!" Finn says.

"Alright then," Juliet says, helping Finn climb into the car which he insisted was how a Blinder stole a car.

"Finn?" Tommy asks, fear clear on his face upon spotting his brother in the car.

"Tommy, what's going on?"

"There's a grenade in the car," Tommy whispers to Juliet. "Finn, stay exactly where you are"

"I was pretending I was you,"

"Which door did you open to come in, Finn?" Tommy asks.

"I didn't, Juliet helped me climb in,"

"I want you to climb out exactly the same way you climbed in, okay?" Tommy says but Finn thinks his brother is playing a game and opens the car door. "No, no, Finn!

Juliet quickly grabs the boy and holds him close.

"CLEAR!" Tommy shouts, launching the grenade in the air as the men scatter before he wraps his arms around Juliet who had Finn encased in her arms.

The loud bang causes shouts and screams from all in the area as Juliet holds the shaking Finn even closer to her.

"That's why you should never pretend to be me," Tommy says to his brother who was clinging to Juliet's skirts. "Now Finn you stay with Juliet and I'll come and collect you once I've dealt with my business"