27 ) Bed-Ridden

all that time we had

all that time we had... it disappeared.

Chenhan and I sit outside of the surgery room, eyes red from the hours that seem to pass without her appearance

Chenhan and I sit outside of the surgery room, eyes red from the hours that seem to pass without her appearance. I could assume it had been around twelve hours, and my hopes seemed to dim. That was, until, the surgeon walked out. Rena followed, eyes closed and head wrapped in bandages. It was a horrifying sight to see, but it was not a rare one.

The surgeon takes off his glasses, smiling just barely at us. How could he smile in this situation? "Good afternoon, Jungwon, Doctor Liu," He greets us, bowing to Chenhan. She doesn't bother with bowing back, not when her sister passes by in the bed. She didn't move even an eyelash. It was worrisome. "She lost a lot of blood, but thank god she was here and not anywhere else. The good news, she still has some time to live. Bad news, it had hit parts of the cancerous spot. There's a chance that her time may be cut by a few months. Now, she is unable to walk. Rena is completely bed-ridden."

"How?" Chenhan whispers.

"Well, though she had been diagnosed with pancreatic cancer when she was little, her hemiplegia came from that car accident you told me about. Somehow, the ambulance hit a part of her spinal cord, inducing more spinal trauma than already induced," He explains. Somehow, I know every word of it. "She can't move anymore. Her nerves were damaged, and it's quite fortunate she survived. Though... I give her until the end of January instead of March. Her injuries are too severe for even her sheer will to keep her alive."

I gulp. I close my eyes for the first time in a few minutes. It hurt. It made me want to cry. Maybe she wanted to cry, too. She couldn't hear us, but I know she knew damn well that this could've been the end. "Then... that's all," The surgeon bows once more, leaving us in our world. I feel my legs crumble, squatting to the ground. I rake my hair back and feel all the nervous sweat I had built up waiting for Rena.

"She's... bed-ridden," Chenhan starts to weep. I can hear it. I know she doesn't cry a lot. I never like talking about her saddened moments. Chenhan... she's never cried in front of me. I don't think she's cried in front of anyone. Was I supposed to comfort her? Did she want my comfort? "I'm sorry, Jungwon. I... I tried my best."