35 ) To Our Youth, Thank You

i have officially understood what it meant to be young in love

I know that grieving for someone as special as Rena would take me years to get over, just like Sunwoo

I know that grieving for someone as special as Rena would take me years to get over, just like Sunwoo. I can't calculate how long it took me to get over her, but I can reassure myself that it'll take me longer to get over Rena's death. Though, after reading her letters, I've brought myself to the conclusion that I can't stay in this room forever. Rena wouldn't want me to do that, nobody would.

I put on my coat. It was snowing today. I make my way to the hospital. Chenhan had called me multiple times, and so on the way, I unlocked my phone. I plug my headphones into the socket, turning up the volume. I go straight to voicemails and listen to the first one she had sent me.

"Good afternoon, Jungwon," It sounded as if she had sobbed before she had called me. Her voice was hoarse, a notch deeper than it usually was. "I'm sorry to call you so soon. I know you're still mourning over my s-sister, so whenever you get back to me, take all the time you need. I have yet to inform my mother of Rena's current situation, but my father has been informed already. We have decided that we want you... to be at and help plan Rena's funeral. Give me a call when you're free."

Then, her next voicemail.

"Sorry, I probably should've mentioned this in the last voicemail," It was right after the last one. "Please don't beat yourself up for her death. Rena... doesn't want either of us to feel responsible for all the concerns and reasons for her decease. It was out of our capability, and she wanted it this way. I'm sure she wrote something to you, as well, right? (laughter) Please don't forget to give me a call, once more. Be happy, somehow."

Then, her last long voicemail.

"Hi, Jungwon!" She sounded happier here. "I believe I mentioned last time that Rena wrote you a letter. Maybe I forgot to tell you... she wrote one to me too! I should... explain what she said to me before you come to visit me unannounced."

I turn up the volume in my headphones as I continue to walk in snowy weather. I press the crosswalk button, leaving me to wait and continue to listen. "In the letter, the first thing she wrote about was her unconditional love for you and me. In every sentence, she talked about how she had no more room to love people, but she opened a few doors for you. She said that you had decided to open some for her, and it was only right for her to do the same," Chenhan chuckles. "She then went on to tell me she picked a specific date to die. Rena told me not to tell anyone, especially you, about it. She said she trusted me the most because I was the only remaining biological family she had to talk to. Rena surely talked to you about everything, but she said she had cared about me for as long as she's been alive, even around the times she shouldn't have."