Surprise Guests Are the Worst: Dylan

It had been two days since the hottest make-out session of my life. And I do mean the HOTTEST. Asher Wilde kissed like he was a ravenous beast and I was his meal. Hadn't really seen that coming. Considering all I'd really seen out of the man was the rule follower, good boy, he sure kissed like a man ready to break all the rules. However, we hadn't really been alone again since that night, which was probably for the best. I had sincere doubts about my ability to NOT jump his bones, so the less we were left alone, the better.

"Yo. Zombie Girl. You alright?"

I looked over at Shayne, standing shirtless in our shared bathroom, getting himself ready for the combined bachelor/bachelorette party in a few hours. He took longer to get ready than I did.

"I'm fine."

"No, you aren't," Shayne argued. "You're my baby sister. I know you better than that. What's going on?"

I gulped and looked down, picking at my black painted nails. "If I tell you something, you can't freak out."

"Well, that's not ominous at all," Shayne said, rolling his eyes. "I swear if you're about to tell me you're "working it out" with Brock again I will smother you in your sleep."

"No! Fuck! This doesn't have anything to do with Brock."

"Then what?"

"I made out with Asher the night we got here."

Shayne's jaw went slack and he dropped the eyebrow pencil he was holding onto the bathroom counter. "Dylan Caroline!"

"What?! We were kinda drunk and we went on a walk and it was kind of romantic and..."

"And?"

"And nothing. That's it. We just made out."

"Okay, so why are you currently freaking out about it? It was two days ago. Has he been a dick since?"

"No. He's been fine. I just..."

"Spit it out already."

"I might kinda like him."

Shayne gave me a flat stare. "Dyl."

"I know, I know!" I grabbed a throw pillow from the couch next to me and held it up so I could bury my face in it. "I'm an idiot."

"Well, I wasn't gonna say it..."

"Shayne! Help me!"

"Anything I'm going to say, you already know," Shayne stated, turning his attention back to his eyebrows.

"I know, but maybe if I hear you say it, I'll actually listen."

Shayne sighed and set down his tools, stepping into the doorway that was barely wider than his linebacker shoulders. "Look, I like Ash. I think he's a good guy, I do. I just..." He paused and I could practically see the wheels spinning in his head as he debated how to continue. "I don't think you getting involved with him is a good idea right now. I don't think he's entirely sure of where his life is going once we leave LaLaLand here, and I'm afraid it's only going to lead to you getting hurt. And you don't need that, Dylan."

"I know."

Shayne sighed again and walked into the main room, sinking into the sofa next to me and wrapping a strong arm around my shoulders, tugging me into his expanse of a chest. "If you could just detach and... chalk this all up as Vacation Fun, I'd be all for it. But I know you, Dyl, and I know you can't do that. I mean, you already said you like him."

"Yeah..."

"Which means you're already in danger," Shayne continued. "I don't think he'd hurt you on purpose, I just don't think he knows what he's doing. He's acting like he wants changes. He's acting like he wants a different life, but it's not that simple. I mean... doesn't he technically have a girlfriend back home still?"