Frustration and Teasing

Jacob's POV

    With a confused frown, I turn on my heel and leave the office, confused on what caused Jasmine to completely shut me out, the casual smile she had on her face gone in an instant.

   I wrap the blue tie around my neck and start to tie it, but my heart isn't in it, for some reason hurt fluttering through me at the slight she pulled.

   It's not that I'm not used to people shutting me down or dismissing me. In fact, I went through that for the majority of my childhood. The issue is that as soon as it seemed like the two of us would actually be able to start beating around the bush and I would get to know her more, walls seemed to slam down in between us.

   Why do I care about what that woman does anyway?

   I try to figure out the answer to the question, but I try to push it out of my mind when there's a buzz from my intercom, Charlotte's voice coming through. "Mr. Renner, Mr. Johnson is on his way in." She warns me, and not a moment too soon. As soon as the beep sounds again to let me know she's done speaking, my door gets pushed open without a single knock, Devin striding through before flipping down on my couch lined against the wall.

   "You have crap security." He tells me, as if he isn't the Head of such division.

   I roll my eyes at him, don't answer, my mind still preoccupied as much as I hate to admit it. I button up my suit jacket over my shirt and tie before reaching into my desk to grab my notebooks, laptop and folders that I need.

I start to head towards the door, and Devin pops up from his comfortable lounging, though for once his mouth is closed enough for me to hear our footsteps as we walk. That is, of course, until he opens his mouth to mind anything but his own business. As usual. "So, how's it going with the smoking PA?" He asks me, wiggling his eyebrows at me, and all I can muster is a small snort, though he zeros in on my frown. "Don't tell me you're screwing it up! You're living a romance novel trope and you look like you just got word that our stocks are down."

This time my snort is real, always amused by the dramatics that Devin is always able to pull out of his ass.

"She's not your typical PA. She's the co-owner of the club we went to the other night. And I can tell she's a closed book hard ass." I explain to him and he gives a low whistle before giving me a wide smile.

"Well then. If she can cause you such distress on your playing field maybe you should go to hers and mess with her." He advises before breaking out into a horrible sexy dance that Charlotte scoffs at as we pass her desk on the way to the board rooms. He turns towards the women and dances once more, his hips shifting back and forth as he smiles and points at her. "You know you want some of this, Char."

My secretary only rolls her eyes and gives him the finger which makes my mood drastically better causing me to laugh.

"How many times do I have to tell you? I'm engaged.... to a woman!" Charlotte reminds him for the up-teeth time but just like always it seems to go in one ear and out the other as Devin winks before continuing to walk with me.

     "One of these days that woman is going to cut off your head. I'll make sure to get it on video." I joke and Devin mocks laugh while I chuckle, enjoying the banter. Doing my best to put those thoughts from my mind, Devin and I make our way towards the meeting to waste a boring few hours that we'll never ever get back.

✨✨✨

     Finally after two hours the meeting is finally over, and I slouch down in my chair, closing my chicken scratch of notes as the last of the board members and CEOs walk out and head down towards the refreshments in the bottom floor.

   With the room filled with only normal sized egos and no more over compensation, I can finally hear myself think. I breath a sigh of irritation that Devin follows with an annoyed nod.

    The one thing about long meetings though, is that they almost always end when it's time to eat.

     Devin and I finally get up and start back towards my office, the halls filled with everyone getting their friends and lunches together to enjoy the next hour without work.

   Lunches are mandatory here at Renner Corp.

  Regardless if you're late on a project or just a workaholic, no one is allowed to stay in their office and work from 12:30 to 1:30 every afternoon. Too many adults I know barely ate throughout the day because they're so worried about what has to get done next, but it only makes them more drained and tired.

Other companies have told me I let my employees be lazy and that I spoil them because of their hour lunch, the two fifteen minutes break policy and the cafe and relaxation area that they have downstairs.

And I let them say what they will, although my results each year show the results. Treating my employees like they're humans rather than pieces to a machine helps my numbers stay high, our work stays flawless and my company as the lowest depression and suicide rate in the whole northeast region.

Devin and I finally make it to my office and I immediately take off the tie and loosen my button down shirt, glad that it's finally time for a break, easily annoyed with all the wall street wolves that always come to visit and try to get one over on us.

Devin immediately crashes on the couch in my office but I ignore him as I go towards Jasmine's office. And just as I expected, when I knock on the door, Jasmine answers letting me know she hasn't taken a break.

I open the door and find Jasemine taking notes from the computer screen in front of her, her hazel eyes barely taking a second to glance up at me before they're farting back to her work. A workaholic. What a surprise. Shaking my head inwardly, I step into her office, plopping myself down on the couch.

"It's against policy to work during lunch hours. twelve thirty to one thirty." I tell her and she gives me a swift smile and a small laugh before continuing her work.

The action makes me feel almost....dismissed.

I find myself lost for a moment, not sure what to do, but I recover, going to stand up, and working my way around her desk and towards her computer. Knowing which buttons are which, I quickly press the 'sleep' button, turning off the screen, but not deleting anything she's working on.

Whether or not Jasemine knew that, I'm not sure, but the look she gives me almost has me going against my own policy to allow her to work, but I hold steady, though I have to advert myself eyes every few seconds.

Finally after what feels like a decade, she finally sighs and relents, pushing back her chair to get up. I don't move back fast enough so when she does, I find the two of us almost face to face, her already tall height almost matching mine in her heels. I feel my cock start to harden at the studious look she gives me and I gulp before stepping back and moving out of her way.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I know the ending is a little abrupt but I think it kind of works. Guys I'm so proud of myself. I think at this point I have like five chapters done. I'm halfway there! I'm beating my time limit too which makes me happy.

Thoughts?

Comments?

QOTD: Have you ever watched Young Justice?