Dear Professor: 1

Thank you for the overwhelming response for the previous one shots . 🙏🏽

I finally bit the bullet and decided to try my hand at something not somber as the previous one shots.

Disclaimer: This is a work of FICTION. The names of my main characters and some aspects have been inspired by real life.

Not proof read and the entire chapter was typed using a mobile device. Please bear with typos.

Long one shot (by my standards) alert!

————————————————-
DEAR PROFESSOR : 1

When she was 10

"Sivaangi, seekram kelambu. Romba late aachuna, you'll have to walk by yourself . Indu needs to leave in another 5 minutes" said her mom who was packing her daughters' lunch boxes before they left for school. Indu, her sister who was six years older than Sivaangi impatiently kept looking inside to see if Sivaangi was done with her breakfast. Sivaangi walked up to her sister and said "naa ready polaam" and walked to her sister's scooter. She was a little nervous owing to the fact that she was starting her sixth grade in a new school, one that her sister went to when she turned 10 as well. Both sisters were pretty studious and hardworking to a fault. Her sister dropped Sivaangi off at her class room and sensing her nervousness offered to have lunch with her. When Sivaangi refused, she said "venumna lunch mudichtu en class ku vandhu paaru. You'll be fine, I am just a floor away".

Sivaangi had a better start than she expected in the new school and just wanted to say a hi to her sister during her lunch. Waiting outside her classroom, she was hesitant to go in but couldn't get her sister's attention either. Deciding to walk away, she dejectedly turned around when she heard a voice " Do you need something? Are you looking for someone?". She turned around to see a boy who was pretty tall when her head muttered " Anyone would be tall for you Sivaangi". She noted he was tall even by normal teenager standards. He repeated "Enna ma, onnum solla maatengra, are you looking for someone". She briefly wondered if he was the school head boy since she didn't pay much attention during assembly and the badge in his shirt confirmed he indeed was. She hesitantly replied "Yes, Indu". He said wait here and walked inside the class. She had heard of the phrase "Greek God" but never knew what it meant. She now wondered if this was how a Greek God looked like. The minute he approached the group of girls who were immersed in a conversation, they stopped whatever was going on. She wondered why, why did it look like he could walk into a room and command it- was it because he was respected or was it his charm or his looks. Her 10 year old brain could neither understand nor comprehend the special treatment he seemed to get. Before she could ponder further, her sister walked to her to check on her.

As months passed by and she settled in well with her new school, she would always see the head boy on the ground playing football passionately, during lunch breaks talking to girls with all smiles or focused on his work in the library. Somehow, she was always in awe of him.

On a Saturday during her quarterly break, Sivaangi was engrossed in a book about 4 kids, their dog and yet another adventure, when Indu walked into their room from chemistry classes clearly irritated and muttered "such an asshole" and dropping her books on the table. Sivaangi looked up and asked her sister "what's an asshole" to which her sister said "more like who's an asshole and Ashwin is" and quickly added "don't say the word or tell appa and amma, it's not a nice word". Sivaangi nodded and said " Sooo, Ashwin is not a nice guy" followed by " Yaaru Ashwin?". Her sister shockingly asked " You don't know Ashwin? En class? Well, he is in Comp Sci, not Biology like me. Are you serious, our head boy? What do you do in assembly, sleep?" Sivaangi was taken aback by the piece of information that their school's head boy's name was Ashwin and he wasn't a nice person. She replied " I don't attend assembly, I have the Olympiad preps during assembly in the library. So why is Ashwin not a nice person? Does he cheat during tests?" Indu scoffed and said "He's one of the toppers de, don't think he cheats" wondered for a minute and said "May be he does, yaaruku theriyum. Anyway, en friend Vardhu and him broke up. Well Vardhu was his girl friend and he cheated on her. Unaku epdi solla, he told Vardhu she was his girlfriend and then went and told another girl that she was his girlfriend. Anyway, avan naala Vardhu is crying". Though Sivaangi couldn't fully understand she muttered " Got it, Ashwin's not a nice guy" and went back to her reading.