En Arunthozhi: 9

This chapter is a continuation of the previous work En Arunthozhi: 8.

Disclaimer: This is a work of FICTION.

As always, there's a note at the end of this chapter.
Trigger warning : Grief, death, miscarriage

This chapter isn't proofread. Please ignore typos.
————————————————————————-

En Arunthozhi: 9

Ashwin hesitated for a few minutes before knocking on the door of Sivaangi's parent's house, two days since she invited him over for lunch. It was 4 pm and he knew Sivaangi wouldn't be at home.

"Vaanga Ashwin, ulla vaanga", his father in law looked confused seeing Ashwin at his doorstep.

As both Ashwin and his father in law settled on the couch, his father in law mentioned "Sivaangi veetla illa. Office la irupaa. 7 - 7.30 dhaan varuva nenaikren".

"Illa mama, naa ungala paaka dhaan vandhen", he started. "Arvind sonnaaru inniku morning Bangalore lendhu varuveenga nu. Adhaan paathutu polaam nu", he dragged.

"Oh?", he father in law furrowed his eyes.

"Athai illiya?", Ashwin asked wanting to talk to the both of them.

"Irunga kootitu varen", his father in law walked inside the house.

Ashwin hadn't even been this nervous when he spoke to Sivaangi's parents almost five years back for the first time. He had been quite confident on himself, of their relationship. He recalled that he had promised Sivaangi's parents that they'd be happy together, that she'd be happy with him.

But today was different. When he knew that he'd slipped on that promise.

He kept tapping his feet on the floor nervously as he fiddled with his thumbs until his in-laws walked back in the room.

Sivaangi's mother merely nodded before taking the couch adjacent to the one he was seated on.

"Epdi irukeenga athai?", he started not wanting to put off the reason for his visit.

"Haan, iruken", his mother in law trailed away.

He looked between his father in law and his mother in law briefly before launching into his almost prepared speech, "Sivaangi Ippo unga kooda dhaan few months ah iruka. So Ungaluke theriyum. May be specifics theriyaama irukalaam. Ava evlo share pannaa nu theriyala".

His mother in law quickly cut him off, "edhume share pannala. Ava enga kitta".

"I..", Ashwin trailed off not knowing how to respond to that.

His mother in law cut him off again, "obviously she's in pain. She was in pain. But, edhume sollala. Do you know what it does to a parent? To see your child struggling, right before your eyes but not have the ability to do anything to resolve it for them? To know that your child does not even want to share anything with you? I'd rather be in pain than share it with my parents nu ava irukappo, do you know what it does to the parents? How helpless it makes us feel?"

"Vidu ma", he father in law placed his hand on his mother in laws's arms, patting her "avaru solla vandhadhu sollatum, let him talk".

"Illa he needs to know", his mother in law stated firmly. "Ippo you might think I am being dramatic, but ungaluku nu children irundhaa, you'd understand the position we are in".

Ashwin was speechless and kept staring nowhere in particular on the floor before sighing "sorry athai, idhula Sivaangi oda thappu edhume Illa. I messed up. And I am fixing it now. But ellaamae ennaala dhaan".