Chapter 10

Reece's words slammed into me. I rocked back on my feet beneath the force of them. "Reece," I whispered. "Listen to me. Let me explain."

He calmly turned over the paper he was reading. "You have explained. You came here with the express purpose of betraying me. You've seen how I deal with people who betray me. I don't see why I should treat you any differently."

"Don't you? Then you're a fool. Unless you slept with Austin too."

He finally glanced up and my legs turned weak beneath the raw, brutal anger in his eyes. "You think this is funny?"

I refused to cower. There was another side to him. A softer side. I just had to find it again and believe that it was strong enough to survive. "I think you're throwing away something good over a mistake I made. I admit that I came to work for you to find a way to stop you bulldozing Cassie's house. But that's not why I slept with you. I slept with you because I wanted to." That at least was the truth. "Fire me from RK, but not from your bed."

He gave a harsh laugh. "That's not how it works."

"Because you can't separate your PAs from your bed partners?"

He shoved his chair back and rose to his full height. Then he stalked across the room to me, not once taking that ice-cold gaze off me. "Because I can't be with someone who wants to see me fail."

A lump formed in my throat, making it impossible to swallow. But I would not let him intimidate me. He was angry and I needed to help him see right from wrong. "It's not a failure to pull out of the hotel deal."

"Try telling that to my stakeholders. Better yet, try telling them that I'm pulling out of the deal because I'm too nice to close it. They won't believe you. They know I'm not nice. Everyone knows it. Ask whoever you want, they'll all tell you the same thing. Reece Kavanagh is a bastard."

"I don't care what other people think. I know you're not a bastard."

He stopped dead. Blinked at me.

"I wasn't expecting to like you," I ventured. "In fact, I was prepared to despise you. From all reports, you should have been an asshole. But you're not, Reece. You're a wonderful guy and I like you." I stepped up to him, but he turned away from me. I laid my hand on his back and felt his warmth through his shirt, the strong, erratic beat of his heart. "I like you a lot and I want to go home with you tonight."

He breathed. Breathed again. "Damn it," he muttered. "Damn it, Cleo." He pushed past me and locked the door. Then he turned to me with eyes still brimming with emotion, chief among them anger. But it had dimmed somewhat, and I could just see the uncertainty there again, the vulnerability I knew lurked beneath the façade.

"Take your clothes off," he ordered, striding past me.

"Now? Here?"

"I can't wait for later. I want you now." He pushed the papers off his desk and let them flutter to the floor then set the keyboard and monitor to one side. "I said, take your clothes off. I'd do it but I might rip something."

His hands were trembling. He saw me looking at them and grabbed onto the edge of his desk. His knuckles went white. I unbuttoned my blouse. I let it fall to the floor and followed it with my bra, skirt and underwear.

I'd barely shed the last item when he came to me and wrapped his arms around my waist. He hoisted me high and buried his face in my breasts. He kissed and licked and teased until I was gasping for air, unable to control the delicious tingles swallowing me whole.

I began to pant, frustrated and turned on at the same time. He laid me down on the desk and, instead of seeing to my pleasure like he usually did, he removed his clothes and thrust his rock-hard cock in to the hilt. I was slick enough to take him without any resistance.