Chapter 13

It was weird sitting at the dinner table with Ellen after working for her for two years and not knowing she had a family. She wasn't very different to the efficient, cool woman I knew. She ruled the household with humor and some subtle manipulation that I was pretty sure her sons didn't even notice.

Her husband, Harry, seemed to adore her, but he did admonish her for her role in bringing Reece and myself together. Unlike her, he was open and fun, but I knew there had to be a savvy business brain in his head for him to have amassed such a large fortune.

"She thinks we're all too stupid to follow our hearts by ourselves," Harry said to me as he filled my wine glass. "I tried telling her she should just put everyone in a room together and see what happens rather than playing these games. They never work."

"Look at Reece and Cleo," Ellen protested. "They worked out."

"No thanks to you, my darling vixen."

She smacked his hand away when he went to hug her. He laughed. "And what about Cassie and Blake?" she said under her breath with a nod in her second eldest son's direction as he spoke to Ash at the other end of the table.

"Considering they haven't worked out, I don't think they're a good example," he said.

"Precisely. We let them fumble through on their own and look what happened. Nothing but heartache on both sides." She sighed. Harry frowned at his plate and didn't say anything more on the matter. I had a feeling he'd lost that battle.

Cassie had been invited to dinner, but declined. She and Blake hadn't spoken since the morning of the protest a week ago. I learned that he'd been in the army all these years, but he wouldn't elaborate on where he'd been posted. Reece told me Blake didn't like talking about it.

Becky sat between the youngest two Kavanagh brothers, laughing and flirting. I was beginning to think I had to keep a closer eye on her until Reece leaned toward me, his shoulder against mine.

"She'll be fine," he said quietly, his eyes twinkling. "She's got an amazing role model." He placed his hand on the back of my neck and drew me in for a kiss. It was tender and sweet, just like Reece.

One of his brothers groaned. "Not at the dinner table. You're putting me off my food."

"Nothing puts you off your food," said Ellen. "Ordinarily I don't allow kissing at the dinner table, but I'll make an exception this once."

"In that case," Harry said, setting down his knife and fork. "I'd better take advantage while I can." He grasped Ellen around her waist and hoisted her onto his lap. They kissed like a couple madly in love.

Two of their sons covered their eyes, one pulled a face, and all five told them to knock it off.

Becky and I laughed.

THE END

Thank you for reading!

 Now Available: The Billionaire Boyfriend Proposal

When Blake Kavanagh left Serendipity Bend 8 years ago, he took Cassie West's heart with him. Now he's back, damaged from his experiences in the army and wanting to renew his relationship with the only woman he ever loved. But Cassie wants nothing to do with the guy who abandoned her when she needed him most, just like everyone she ever loved.

When trouble enters Cassie's ordered life, Blake is forced to stay with her to protect her. And that's when Cassie's carefully constructed walls begin to crumble. She lets him in, only to find out he's leaving her. Again.

The Billionaire Boyfriend Proposal is now available for a teeny tiny price from all online ebook stores - Amazon, iBooks, Google Play, B&N Nook, Kobo and Smashwords. Search for it there or go to my website and check it out: http://www.kendralittle.com/ 

Sign up to Kendra's Newsletter - Get 5 FREE Stories!

To be notified when Kendra releases a new Kavanagh Family novel, sign up to her newsletter. All newsletter subscribers will have exclusive access to 5 short romantic stories that are not available anywhere else. These stories cannot be bought, and are Kendra's gift to you. Go to this page on her website and fill in the form to sign up. You will be sent a link where you can read the stories: http://www.kendralittle.com/newsletter.html