Chapter 9

Next Morning

After a night of partying and enjoying with family and friends, Manik woke up feeling happy and turned over too see Nandini sleeping peacefully beside him. At first he didnt realize and just smiled but then he sat up startled.

"What the- yeh yahan kya kar rahi hai?" Manik mumbled. He slowly poked Nandini's arm to wake her up. "Ms Murthy? Ms Murthy?"

Nandini didnt move and instead was snoring lightly. Manik leaned in closer hearing her. "Yeh kharate maar ke soh rahi hai....kya kumbkaran ladki hai yeh yaar. MS MURTHY!"

Nandini still didnt wake up. Frustrated, Manik picked up the glass of water kept on his side table and dumped it on Nandini's face.

"AAH! Tsunami! Tsunami!" Nandini woke up scared. 

"What?" Manik stared at her. "Ghar ke andaar tsunami kaha  se aa jayega?"

"Manik sir? Aap?" Nandini finally saw Manik next to her. "Aap yahan kya kar rahe hai?"

"Oh hello Ms Pagal....yeh mera kamra hai! Remember? Black & White zamane wala kamra?" Manik said. "I should be the one asking you...tu yahan kya kar rahe ho?"

"Woh...kal raat Nyonika aunty ne hum sab ko rokh liya. Main toh guest room mein soyi thi...yahan kaise aa gayi?" Nandini looked confused. Then she remembered something. "Oh haan! Raat ko main niche gayi thi paane lene...I think aate waqt main galat kamre mein aa gayi. I was half asleep na? Isi liye."

Manik just gave her a "Seriously?" look.

"Whatever...just get out of my room. NOW." Manik demanded.

"Ok Ok...jaa rahi hoon." Nandini pouted. Then she mumbled to herself. "Mr Khadus Kahi ka."

Unfortunately, Manik heard her and glared at her making Nandini quickly run out.

A few hours later, everyone was awake and eating breakfast together. Manik came down in his usual dark coloured suit and sat to eat, after eating he just got up and started towards the front door.

"Arre Manik rukh." Raj stopped him. "Nandini ko bhi saath le jaa....after all tum dono ko ek hi jagah jaana hai and she is right here."

"Dad woh-" Manik tried to refuse but stopped seeing Raj give him a stern look and just nodded. He turned to Nandini and motioned for her to follow. "Chalo."

Manik & Nandini sat in Manik's car and they started driving to Office in silence. After a few minutes, Nandini spoke up. "Sir...kamre wala incident ke liye sorry. Jaan bhuj ke nahi gayi thi main...bas galati se ho gaya."

"Aisi galati sirf tumse hi kyun hota hai?" Manik asked rolling his eyes.

"Woh...main thodi si hatke hoon na isi liye." Nandini replied cheekily. Manik kept his face neutral until Nandini turned to look out the window and the corners of his lips curled up into a smile.

***********

Nandini was working at her cubicle when she heard a familiar voice from behind her.

"No frickin way....Nandini Murthy? Is that really you?"

Nandini spun around in her chair and was shocked to see one of her best friends from London, Vikram Dsouza.

"Vicky? Tum yahan kar rahe hp?" Nandini asked standing up and hugging him. 

"Yaar London se jaane ke baad I came here. Mera Bua yahan rehti hai toh unke saath rehta hoon main." Vicky replied. "What about you? Tum yahan kaise?"

"I told you right? My family lives here...aur woh female hitler chali gayi toh-" 

Vicky started laughing. "Female hitler...matlab tumhari amms?"