007

×~a long time away~×

"Logan!" Mrs. Brackett cried urgently as she rushed towards her daughter.

Logan was sitting on the curb. She was trembling, her drawn on whiskers sliding down her cheeks with her tears. Mrs. Brackett held her in her arms. Annie was not too far behind her, with Mr. Brackett speaking to his subordinates.

Annie threw herself beside her sister wordlessly, sister and mother smothering her with hugs as she cried. "Did he hurt you?" Mrs. Brackett said breathlessly.

Logan raised her head slowly to meet her mother's terrified gaze. "Hurt me?" She asked. "Why would he hurt me?" She looked defiantly at her mother. "Michael wouldn't hurt anybody. Mom, why did they take him away? Have dad bring him back!"

Mrs. Brackett looked shaken. "Logan, I can't. He did very bad things tonight." She cried, silent tears dripping off her chin. "I'm so glad you're okay." She said nothing else. Instead, she rejoined the hug. But Logan had gone stiff.

What did he do? Whatever it was, it must have been terrible. Very terrible, as Annie began to weep into her shoulder. Logan couldn't piece it together. But slowly, as night fell around her and the sirens died, she was picked up into the warm arms of her father.

"How is she?" Logan barely heard her father say.

"She... Doesn't know." Said Mrs. Brackett darkly. "Deborah said we may have saved Judith's life tonight."

Annie let out a strangled sob but said nothing.

"And she believes he's innocent? He can do no wrong?" Mr. Brackett voice rose in anger. "After that brutality?"

"Leigh, please!" Mrs. Brackett cried. "Please, don't do this right now."

Mr. Brackett sighed, heaving his distraught daughter into the back of his own cruiser. Annie slid in beside her in the back seat while Mrs. Brackett took front passenger. "You did see it, though? What he did was despicable... I never would have expected..."

"I don't think any of us did." Annie said finally. Her voice was broken. "I'm just glad Logan is-" she cut herself off, staring at her younger sister fearfully. "I don't know what I'd have done."

🖤

The next few days were torturous for Logan. When she had returned to school, students and teachers alike stared at her with pity. Her friends kept bothering her for information about that night. So they could go home and tell their parents all about what they had heard.

It didn't take long for Wesley to show up dead. Logan wasn't very surprised hearing the news. She had suspected it the moment he didn't turn up to school, rushing to her side and earnestly bugging her about what had happened.

Logan felt like she was slowly deteriorating. She couldn't even do the simplest of tasks without failing in some way. Eating was a newfound challenge. Mrs. Brackett was watching her once cheerful child disappearing before her very eyes.

Logan had arrived home one evening, soaked with sweat. She matched robotically up into her room and closed her door, flopping into her bed and dozing off.

Joanne and Leigh Brackett were whispering agitatedly in the kitchen as they stirred up a poorly prepared dinner.

"He was her best friend, Leigh. Just one visit-"