021

×~Showdown~×

Logan jumped to her feet and lunged for the door that led outside. Glass crunched beneath heavy, slow footsteps. "Jason! Where's the key?!" She hissed.

The boy, who had curled up behind the stocked boxes of the top shelf, leaned forward and began to shuffle around in his pockets.

The footsteps outside drew near, closing in on the door.

"Jason!" Logan hissed urgently.

Jason shook as he pulled them from his pockets and tossed them to her. He clambered down from the shelf as Logan shoved open the back door. The rain was hammering and cold. The back of the station revealed a small employee parking lot and a long stretch of forest. The door that led to the shopping area of the gas station shook violently. Logan, even through her panic, could hear his heavy, aggravated breathing through the door.

Logan pushed Jason out the door as she slammed and locked the door behind her. "Where are we going?" He yelled over the thundering downpour.

"Just run!" She shoved him onward and into the muddy grass. They took off side by side and hand in hand, fleeing for their lives.

Logan glanced over her shoulder as they ran into the woods, her eyes scanning the dimly lit gas station for any sign of their pursuer. And in the doorway from which they had just fled, was the figure of Michael Myers, his mask igniting brightly as lightning crackled against the dark sky.

Logan's blood ran like ice in her veins. She didn't hesitate as she spun back around and raced forward, pushing her body past what it could handle- whatever it took. Whatever she needed to do.

The forest was growing darker the thicker they droned through it. It's brambles and thickets were tearing holes and grasping onto Logan's clothing relentlessly. The floor was heavy with mud which was making it increasingly harder to flee.

Heartbeat heavy in her ears, with nothing but the ache in her legs to ground her. Slowly but surely, dawn broke through the thundering storm clouds; small rays of sunshine cracking through the grey. Only then did she realize how long they had been running for.

She allowed them to slow when the trees began to thin and the highway came into view, stretching into the dark horizon. Jason collapsed into the mud almost immediately, struggling to catch his breath. He rolled onto his back, his chest rising and falling quickly.

Logan leaned up against a tree to do the same, the petrichor stinging her nose. Not a word was said during their moment of peace, a rare moment that, despite their circumstances, Logan was grateful for. Rain stung her eyes, soaking her to the bone. Though, fortunately for them, it was no longer relentlessly pelting them. Instead, a soft drizzle greeted them. A calm after the storm.

"A-are we safe?" Jason stuttered breathlessly, squeezing his eyes closed to keep the raindrops out of them.

Logan took a moment to answer. She didn't want to lie to him. There wasn't a doubt in her mind that Michael was on their trail, at whatever speed he could speed-walk. Regardless, she knew they couldn't rest long. "No. We're not." She said, her voice wavering. But she gritted her teeth, her nails digging into her wet clothes. "We need to keep moving." She insisted, pushing herself off the tree she was using for support.

Jason heaved a sigh. "My legs hurt..." He complained.

"If we stop moving, we die." She snapped harshly. "We've already been here too long." Her gaze was glued on the treeline, listening hard for a sound.