First Impressions- III

It wasn't easy escaping from your parents, but they let you off with a "be careful" and "make some new friends!". Eh, we'll see. You noticed this town really was quite pretty, flowers seemed to thrive in places that seemed much like a place where plants should not grow. The people bustled and chatted. To be honest? It was nice, but really, really not your cup of tea. They were too loud, so much that it made you head spin.

And so you took solace in a small garden. Not a single place was empty aside from the mountains and terrains close to it. So the garden became an alternative. It was wide, filled with laughing and playing kids. You could have painted this scene. It felt precious, not something that remotely reassembled your life back in your old home. It was more lonely there, while you did miss it, you were happy for the new start.

Now that you looked back on it more, you realise how the names and faces of your friends seem to slip by you. it made you guilty, you've only been out for a week and yet- and yet their memory had already faded. You only shake you head at yourself, convincing yourself instead that it was only early onset dementia.

In front of you were kids, but what stood out the most was a taller figure, curly hair and a mischievous smile. He was telling a story, one that seemed scary. The kids would squeal every now and then, or maybe skriek with laughter. He was good with kids. It felt nice to watch. He was nice to watch.

Just as you were about to approach him, an anxious thought worked it way back up. He's a new person. How should you act? Goofy like him? What if you get too quiet? The thoughts jumbled up in your head, before deciding, so what? If you make a fool of yourself at least you've talked a person.

With that you stood, a new purpose coursing in you veins. You walked fast and held your head high. You were sure you were gonna-

"ack- oh, are you okay..." The male seems to pause, taking in the appearance of you sprawled on the grass. "Hermosa?"

It took a while to understand until you did and you turned a harsh red. Your hands did little to cover your face while you tried to scramble up in a hurry.

"woah, slow down! Here, let me help you." His voice is no longer teasing as he gently props you up with a satisfied grin. "Goodness you really did fall for me"

That only seemed to rile you up even more, flushing into an even darker shade and using your arms and hat to try to hide from him. The fact that he was laughing made you cower.

"I haven't seen you around-" he tries to stifle his laughter at seeing you in a stiffened position. "pfft- calm down! Here." He pats your back and leads you to the small bench where you sat jsut before.

There is a small silence as you collect your bearings. He chuckles now and then, and even though you try not to meet his eyes you can feel him stare hard into you. Isn't this what you wanted? You tell yourself. It is, you argued back, but I didn't think he would be so-

"well you don't seem to like talking," his hand reaches up. It's tentative as he aligns your eyes with his. Not firm at all, it was loose, enough that you could pull away if you wanted. "at least look me in the eyes"

He joked. It made you smile bashfully, which only make him raise his eyebrows at the reaction he stirred.

"So Hermosa, your name?" the boy was perched, looking to you with expectant eyes. You were still recovering from what happened earlier, your stomach fluttering, mind racing and in your stupor you blurted out with full confidence-

"NO"