04. Skimpy clothes.

I slowly swam backward towards the deep end, away from those glowing eyes.  I knew I wanted to see the wolf with the midnight fur but then again, I just wanted to see it from a distance. 

          I never dreamt of being ambushed by two wolves.

          Did we make a mistake by coming here? my subconscious whispered.

          No shit, Sherlock.

          I tried to be inconspicuous as possible like the two wolves had not already seen me and were not coming towards me.  I ducked into the water and swam in another direction towards the shore.  I didn’t come up even when my lungs started burning and I honestly felt like I would die without enough air. 

          But I broke the surface with an audible gasp which would have been a beacon to where I was located.  I swiped the water from my eyes and frantically searched at the darkened lake.

        Where were they?

         I heard a huge growl and a substituting snarl.  I turned around and located them. 

          The wolves were atop of each other in a natural rock-like structure quite far from shore.  It looked like they were swimming in my direction but had stopped for some reason because I was quite far from them and nearer to the shore. 

           I heard another growl which sounded a little ferocious.  I could only see their silhouettes but I knew without a doubt that the wolf on top had the other’s neck under his teeth. 

           I didn’t know which wolf was which.  I would only be able to differentiate with their furs and eyes.

           Because of the darkness, I couldn’t see their hide, and their eyes were not focused on me rather on themselves.

         My heart thudding in my chest, I quietly swam down to the shore and tip-toed towards my dress.  I quickly picked up my underwear and wore them all the while my eyes were firmly placed on the fighting wolves. 

         It was not like I was watching them so as not to kill each other.
No, no way.  I was just looking out in case they decided to search for me again.  So, that I would be prepared to run. 

         Liar, the voice in my head seemed louder this time.  My self-consciousness was a thorn in my side at times.

          I wore my t-shirt and bent down and searched blindly for my jeans on the sand, while my gaze was on the shadows on the rock.  Something bit my finger hard, just as I grabbed my jeans.

         I yelled, startled.  Shaking my index finger and tried to alleviate the pain and saw a crab running down the sand.
The faint moonlight was enough to see who the culprit was. 

        Fucking crab.

        I spit saliva on my finger and spread it across the sharp sting and it soothed me enough to make me realize that there was a lack of snarling and growling. 

        Suddenly at alert, I looked back at the rock, and unsurprisingly the wolves were not there. 

         Because they were swimming towards me.  Towards the shore.  At an alarmingly fast pace. 

         I didn’t waste any time putting on my jeans.  I just blindly ran.  I wanted to fucking live. 

         I had no sense of direction and felt blind by the second because I could see nothing other than a very few meters before me as I ran.  God, I hope somehow I would find civilization.