Chapter thirty one -- breaking the engagement

Cassandra.

A week before the engagement and Jem is still finding a way for the two of us. I got nervous and I really don't know. Things are getting complicated and hard but I wanted to trust Jem and my sister's love for me.

Will she understand? I really don't know but I hoped that she will.

Another day passed, Jem keep on being at my side and our moments grew together but had still had hard time saying the truth to my sister or his family. Then another day come and go, as our memories and self bond my worries grew. Saying the truth was too hard to deal with until Jem already sorted things out.

He said to his family today (which is three days away from his engagement) that he will not continue the engagement with Emme and he will explain further later but needed them to promise that he will talk to Emme first before breaking out and explaining everything which to Jem's surprise his mother and father so agreed. They said marriage is a huge responsibility if a party is not ready its better postponed or cancelled rather than pursued and be regretted. Matrimony is holy and should be keep holy, thus they let him with his decision with the promise of giving them explanation sooner than later. Agreed and eager Jem told me this news over the phone and though relieved I still feel worried. Now the hard part is to come, and that is telling my sister. The question would be how?

Stacking all my courage I drive home to tell Emme personally knowing she was just at home lately preparing for her engagement.

This would be hard. My inner self said and for once I agreed with her.

I drive slowly, wanting to keep myself from inevitable wishing there were really something I could do or alter.

But I knew nothing and facing the music just how I faced it before is a must.

I drove home with myself debating what to do or say. It seems words jumble in my thoughts and I can't really say what I wanted to say.

Closing my eyes for a while as I muttered a deep prayer that everything will be fine and that may Emme found it in her heart to forgive me. I then shut it open and found myseld already in our place.

Its time to face the music.

. . . . . . . . . . . . 

Emme.

Three days before the engagement the painting arrived in the house and I was too eager to see it again.

Excited, I run to my room locked myself and started to open the package just to be terrified to saw a different kind of painting than I have purchased.

Confused, I put the painting back on my bed without looking at it and ring the agent.

Pissed and annoyed I stood up and paced the room as I wait for her to pick up.

"This is not the painting I bought!" I blurted out the moment she said her hello.

She was confused of how it happen but ofcourse I don't know either since they were the one in charge of it!

"Please Ma'am hold on a sec. .I'll recheck."

"Faster." I said impatiently still standing while my left hand were on my hips and my right foot is tapping the floor while waiting.

After a year, she come back finally! "Ooh. .Im sorry Ma'am. .there was just a mistake. .the staff must have switched the painting. .Its uhmm. .yeah. .the same artist that's why."

"So? What Am I gonna do? Its my gift to my fiance and its just three days till my engagement party! I want that painting now!" I don't usually loses my temper but this is really an exceptional case. Their bunch of idiots and morons and irresponsible kind how--- wait what? I heard Bianca said something but because I was obviously not in the mood I wasn't really paying much of an attention.

"Fine!" I said, disgustly. I have no choive have I? if I wait for them who knows when they will I receive it again so its better that I fetch it myself.

Packing my hand bag and putting the painting to its case I stormed away and arrived still pissed of that Curator.

"Im so sorry ma'am. ." She said the moment I stepped inside the gallery.

Politely, I tried to soften my features and nod at her and walked in as she guided me inside.

I tried to calm my nerves as I walk with her trying not to rant or go angry with her and her staff.

"Im really sorry for the mistake Ma'am, Sir J. Marquez paintings are quiet rare and we just have acquired two of his winning pieces. .the one you purchased and lately the one that is mistakenly delivered in your door. .its just that--"

I stopped her with my hand. "J. Marquez?" I asked quietly thrilled with my painter. I just have this weird side to collect staff whenever I got fascinated over a thing or a person. Like my fascination to Bennidect Cumperbach and his movies. It actually started on his british Sherlock series that I so happen to fall in love with him and watch his every movie. I mean ofcourse the painting must be good and Im just pretty annoyed. Surely when Im a lot better I'll purchase the one Im bringing with me but for the moment, I need that painting. Its my gift and engagement is just three days away!

"Yes. J. Marquez. .it stands for Jeremy Marquez Ma'am."

The word didn't process for a while but when I realize she's been talking about my fiance my eyes just lit in wild amazement and disbelief.

Ooh my ghad! I just found his paintings, accidentally!

"Its my fiance." I mutter that even Bianca was amazed with the discovery.

Mezmerized and suddenly intetested I pulled out the painting Ive brought with me and look at it intently.

It was beautiful and alive, except I don't understand it.

How on earth it could be??