Chapter 6

"So you're part of the student council? Really?"

My mum sounds super excited. She's beaming at me, touching my hair and giving me extra servings of freshly made pancakes.

I nod through a mouth full of my favorite chocolate chip pancakes, the ones that are basically soaked in hot chocolate sauce and incredibly hard to swallow. I still manage.

"Yeah, kind of. The event council is like a sub group. Kaia made me join."

"Oh Kaia," my mum sighs dreamily, "She's a great girl. I'm glad she made you do this, it's such an important step in your life. Think how good it will look on your résumé!"

I reach out for another pancake "It's not like we only joined the club for our résumés."

Even though it totally is for me. But my mum doesn't need to know that.

"Of course, of course," my mum says and packs a bag with sandwiches and fruits and another one with pancakes, "Still, think about your future! Everyone will be so impressed – being part of the student council basically means you're perfect for a leadership position."

"That sounds really great mum," I say quickly and snatch the bags from her hands, "I won't miss to mention it, promise. Now excuse me, Kaia is waiting."

"Have fun," my mum says and brushes back my hair, "And feel free to bring any of your new friends from the council home, I'd love to meet them. Also, what about Logan? Why isn't he coming by anymore, I miss him!"

I swallow. Right, my mum doesn't know. There's actually a lot she doesn't know, since I never really told her I'm dating Logan in the first place. To her, we were nothing but good friends, though I'm not sure she never suspected anything.

"Uh," I say and slip in my shoes, "Yeah. Bye, mum."

My mum gives me a look but doesn't ask any more questions. She standing on the threshold, watching me as I start the car, and I wave over my shoulder.

Kaia is waiting for me in front of her house, dressed in an adorable duffle coat, arms full of folders and hair extra bouncy.

"I did some research!" she tells me while climbing in the passenger's seat, cinnamon curls flying everywhere and cheeks bright red, "Everyone in the council is so into the project, I couldn't just sit over the schedule and nothing else."

"Research for a cleaning event?" I retreat and raise an eyebrow, handing her the bag with pancakes, "Do you really think this is necessary?" I pause and start thinking, "Wait, are you maybe trying to impress someone?"

Kaia puffs her cheek and starts digging in the bag. "What do you mean – of course I want people to like me!"

"Everyone likes you," I say.

Kaia is beaming. "You think so?"

She's incredibly happy, as if the fact she's a natural sweetheart everyone adores is completely new to her. Her excitement is a little contagious, so I join in on her plans to spice up the green & gold cleaning as I stop my car on the parking lot and reach out to change my shoes. Kaia's hands are everywhere as she tells me about this cleaning tips she did research on, but suddenly stops in mid-sentence, eyes growing wide.

"Just –"

"Just what?"

"Uh, let's just go," Kaia says quickly, shoving folders in my arms and holding onto my wrist, "Come on, June."

"What?" I repeat, brows furrowing.

"Come on, June," she pleads.

Kaia's grip on my wrist is tight as she drags me over the parking lot, but it's too late anyway. There, right next to a shiny silver Mercedes, is Logan – with his arms wrapped around Vivian, so close it's hard to tell which arm belongs to whom. Vivian turns her head right when we pass, and there's a second, where I just stand and stare and they kiss. It's like a perfectly synchronized performance, with their noses brushing and their eyes closed. Some freshmen pass them with flustered faces and coo about how cute and adorable they are.