Chapter 24

I wake up way too early for my liking. It's Saturday morning, practically the crack of dawn, and my phone is ringing. There are only two people who regularly call me, and while my mum would be nonsense, I hope for Kaia's life she's not calling to suggest we start extra early.

"What?"

There's a laugh on the other line.

"Is this the way you answer your phone?"

I yawn, check the display and put the phone back on my ear.

"Matthew, do you know the time?"

"I thought you guys go and check the caterings today?" Matthew says and sounds confused.

"Not at seven a.m.," I groan and roll around, so my phone is squeezed between the mattress and my face, "Why are you calling?"

Matthew's quiet for a good couple of seconds, and I almost fall back asleep to the sound of his breathing.

"Well, I'm free today," Matthew says then, "Leonard ditched me – we wanted to go and play baseball, but no, his TV show marathon is way more important."

"I can relate," I yawn right in the speaker.

Matthew laughs and it sounds like he's pacing around in his room. "So I thought, why not spend the time with my girlfriend?"

"Matthew, you do remember you just said I'll be at the catering firms today, right?" I say, "And I need to sleep now, not see your face."

Matthew laughs again. "Who says you won't in your sleep – no I'm sorry, don't hang up."

"This close," I threaten with a smile.

"So, I was actually thinking maybe I'll join you guys on your catering check? It'll be fun, don't you think?"

I furrow my brows. "What? Is this about free food?"

"Maybe?" Matthew says and I can practically hear him grinning, "So, what do you say?"

I yawn and rub my eyes. "Why not. I'm driving – I'll pick you up at eleven. Don't be late. And don't wear that red and blue plaid shirt"

"Huh, why?"

"Because I don't like it."

"But I like it."

"Well yeah, and I don't. So who's more important, your girlfriend or a stupid shirt?"

Matthew sighs dramatically. "Harsh."

I chuckle. "See you later."

When I reach his house, Matthew is wearing the red and blue plaid shirt. I furrow my brows and stop the car right in front of the curb.

"Oh, boyfriend's looking good," Kaia says.

I grimace and get out of the car, walking up to where Matthew's waiting at his doorstep.

"Are you serious?"

"What?"

Matthew grins and takes my hand, pulling me behind him inside his house. Leonard waves his hand from where he's lying on the couch, apparently in the midst of a marathon on cartoon network. I wouldn't mind joining.

"June's here, mum," Matthew calls towards the first floor, "We'll get going then."

There's rustling, and his mother appears at the top of the stairs.

"Have fun, you two," she says, "June, make sure Matthew doesn't overeat himself. I'm making lasagna."

"Oh my god, mum," Matthew says, "June is not my babysitter."