Chapter 23

"So the thing is," Johnny says during the next club meeting, "We still need a band. And catering. Our tech crew wanted to find a band by now –"

He glances in their direction. Carlos smiles guiltily, Duncan doesn't even look up from his computer.

"– but apparently can't handle it on their own," Johnny rolls his eyes and jabs his pen in Liling' direction, "So, you'll help, Liling."

"What? Why?" Liling looks up from what looks like endless pages of paperwork, "I'm busy, can't anyone else –"

"No can do," Johnny says brightly and continues with his checklist, "Agatha, Matthew, how are the flyers going?"

"We're almost done," Matthew says, pen tugged behind his ear and paint smeared over his cheek, "We'll probably hand them in by tomorrow, or even tonight."

Kaia told me I missed the voting for the design while I slept through the last meeting, but it wasn't that exciting anyway, since the student council decides on the slogans for major events like Christmas prom.

"Good job," Johnny nods and ticks another point on his list, "So, VPs and I," Vivian and Logan look up from where they're giggling amongst themselves, "will handle everything related to the finances, the set up and the teachers talk. Catering is the job of our coordinators –"

"I already called all the catering services you suggested," Kaia pipes up, "June and I will go and test-eat at their places tomorrow."

I nod as if I didn't find out about that just now and Johnny looks pleased.

"Alright then," he says and closes his notebook, "I'm sure everything will work out fine if you all give your best. Remember, this is the first time we organize the Christmas prom, so we should prove everyone what we can do."

He sounds motivated and enthusiastic, and I feel almost pressured to really give my very best. Johnny puts so much work into the club, it's both endearing and a little alarming.

"Of course, president," Carlos says and gives him a thumbs up.

"This will be great, Johnny," Liling says and smiles, "I don't think anything will go wrong."

"We can do it, Johnny," Vivian says and frees her hand from Logan's grip to pat his back, "Don't worry."

Johnny doesn't look reassured the least and goes to exchange a few mumbled words with Vivian. I notice Logan watching them, and there's something familiar in his eyes. It's both longing and some kind of jealousy, and it's just the way I used to look at Vivian and him. Or do I still? I sigh and turn my head.

Matthew and Agatha are discussing what seems to be the final draft of the flyer. Matthew's hair looks extra messy today, as if he didn't have time to comb it that morning. There are strands hanging in his forehead, and Agatha already gave up on brushing them away. He's biting on his lower lip while staring down on his notebook. I rest my head on my palm and watch him, the way his lips flutter when he speaks, the way he furrows his eyebrows, the way he narrows his eyes and scratches his head.

"June," Kaia calls from my side, "June, when are you going to pick me up tomorrow?"

"Hmm?" I blink rapidly and turn to face her, "I don't know. Not too early."

Kaia goes on debating whether eleven or twelve a.m. works best, and I nod and add a few 'yes' and 'sure' here and there and continue watching Matthew.