Chapter 10

When we leave the clubroom, reality comes back like a train crash.

Logan leans against the wall of the hallway, lovestruck expression on his face, his arms wrapped so tightly against Vivian it's hard to tell which arms belong to whom. Vivian's hands reach out to cup his face, beaming brightly at him, and the fact all of the council members pass them on their way out doesn't seem to bother them one bit. Johnny says his goodbyes and Duncan tells them to get a room and Vivian just smiles and leans in to press a kiss on the corner of Logan's mouth. It's so cute I want to throw up.

Kaia mutters something under her breath and holds tightly onto my hand.

"Come on, let's just go. Don't let them see your face."

Doesn't seem like they care either way though, since they now start a full on make-out session right in front of our eyes, which – ugh.

I try to say something cool and unaffected, but my voice fails me and I make a gargling noise instead. Carlos exchanges a look with Kaia over my shoulder and she nods sternly, pulling onto my hand, until we're practically running past Logan and Vivian. I feel like being evacuated from a natural disaster, which is somehow fitting, but I also feel dumb. And childish. As if I can't even handle Logan and Vivian anymore.

I wait until we're down the hallway, and down another, before I clear my throat. My voice feels normal again. I even manage an indifferent expression. So far, so good.

"Guys," I call out and hold onto Kaia's wrist, "Guys, it's okay. I'm fine."

"Yeah? Didn't sound like it," Carlos says.

"I just – choked. On my spit. It happens."

"It's okay, June," Kaia says and shakes her head, "It's okay to be mad. I mean, what do they think they're doing? Right in front of everyone. That was so unnecessary."

"Seemed like they were just trying to rub it into your face," Carlos says, "Super unnecessary."

"Guys," I start again and take a step back, freeing myself from both of their holds, "Guys, it doesn't matter. I'm cool with it, really."

Kaia doesn't even look convinced once second. "Yeah, because you're cool with everything, June. The day you admit how hurt you are will be the day Liling and Duncan finally hook up."

"What? I was so sure on prom night," I say, "What's with the pessimism?"

Kaia makes a face at me.

"This is not funny."

I smile and raise my hands in defense. "No, but seriously – I know Logan and Vivian are going out, it's hard to miss. The fact I see them kissing or flirting in front of me doesn't change that. I'm really cool with it. It doesn't hurt."

There's a silence, in which I start to wish I would've taken some acting classes in the past. I mean, I think I can be convincing? Just not to Kaia it seems, and Carlos either. They exchange another look, this time more exasperated than the first, but there's also something more.

"I don't like this," I say and point between the two of them, "You're not still thinking about some kind of revenge plans, right?"

"No, of course not," Kaia pouts shamelessly, "I was just telling Carlos how bad of actor you are. Mind-communication, you know."

Carlos laughs and reaches out to give Kaia one of those half-hugs.

"Yeah, whatever. I'll see you girls tomorrow."

He shakes my hand and tugs on my hair and I laugh. Kaia waves after him and there's a glint in her eyes I purposely choose to ignore for now. Instead, I tug on her sleeve.

"Let's go. I need to be home at six, my dad told me he'll try calling."

Kaia smiles and accepts my hand.

"Carlos is nice," she says, "I like him. I like everyone in the club I think – minus Lovian of course."

"Lovian?" I can't help but laugh, "Oh God."

Kaia laughs and swings our hands, and she's all cheerful and happy again which feels good.

I feel like recently I'm unloading all of my problems on her and it's like I'm dragging her down with me. It's not like I want to. I don't want people to worry about me, to think I'm all miserable, especially not people I care about. It's one more reason I want leave this whole Logan mess behind me, and I decide there and then that I'm going to try harder.

Later, when I'm on the phone with my dad, I tell him about all these recent disasters in my life. I tell him my boyfriend broke up with me, cheated on me, and is now rubbing his new relationship right in my face. It's easier to talk about this with my dad than with my mum. Partly because he's always been more rational, matter of fact, partly because I get low-key satisfaction from showing him just how much he's missing out on my life, since I never told him I had a boyfriend to begin with. He doesn't sound too surprised though.

"I'm sorry, June. Though I'm sure you were too good for that boy anyway. Are you alright?"

I grimace and nod into the speaker. "I am, dad."

My dad hums and changes the topic to Thai food and how Thailand's generally too hot for his liking and business trips in general.

"I'll send you a postcard. Do you want any souvenirs?"

I'm quiet for the longest time. When I was younger, I told him the only thing I want is my dad coming home. Childish.

"Something nice for Christmas," I say and look over my shoulder, "Oh, there's mum – she probably wants to talk to you – ah, does not. Well, I have to go, dad."

"Have a nice week," my dad says, "Don't forget to dress warm. Fall is cold. I miss you, June."

"Miss you too," I say and hang up.