Chapter 29

We're doing the cake sell during lunch, right in front of the cafeteria. I almost forgot about it if it weren't for Kaia, who called our landline and told my mum. She made strawberry cheesecake and banana fudge cake. My car smells so much like cake I have to go and buy snacks from the vending machine before class.

"Hungry?" Matthew grins and leans against the wall.

He's carrying a large box and follows my eyes. "Marble cake. My favorite. My mum made two and Leonard ate one on his own."

"Smells nice," I say and stuff my bag with cereal bars, "Are you going to condition after school?"

Matthew looks surprised. "I do. Will you – stay? Wait for me?"

"Don't know, is Logan going to be there again?" I ask.

Matthew rolls his eyes. "I have no idea why he showed up last time. He never cared for soccer."

I smile and nudge his side. "I'll be there. See you at lunch."

"Science," Matthew says.

"We sit in different rows," I turn around and spot Carlos waving at me from the other end of the hallway, "Don't lose your cake."

Matthew slings an arm around my shoulders from behind, and completely catches me by surprise. I stumble and almost fall, but Matthew holds me steady.

"See you," he says and presses a quick kiss to my temple.

I'm weirdly floating to where Carlos is waiting for me.

"You look like a human tomato," he says.

I roll my eyes and hold on tight onto my boxes. "Let's go."

Carlos teases me all through English, calling me totally smitten and putty in Matthew's hands and a whole lot more annoying things. I sigh and press my cheek against the desk.

"Do you have a partner for prom?" I ask, because it would be such a nice change to see Carlos all head over heels for someone.

He shakes his head with a grin. "I don't think I'm going to ask someone."

"Because you don't have to?" I snort, "Help, what should I do with everyone throwing themselves at me."

"No, why would I," Carlos laughs, "I'm just – do you need a partner for prom? I don't think so. It'll be fun nevertheless."

"I guess so," I say and close my eyes.

"You're going to prom with Matthew, aren't you?" Carlos asks then.

I'm quiet for a second, because we haven't really talked about it. As in, putting the cards on the table, Matthew kneeling in front of me with sappy music in the background while he formally asks me out, confessing his undying love for me while he's already at it. But I guess there's no need for all of that anyway.

"I do."

Cake sell is mostly uneventful but satisfying. Hordes of freshmen and sophomores crowd around the tables, practically throwing their money at us while trying to get an extra big slice of cake and Agatha's cute cupcakes. Seniors and juniors use different tactics, coming from the sides all sneaky and conspiring We're in the same math class, come on get me a free one. There is this one guy gets all uncomfortably close to me and talks something about how we're practically best friends while I don't even remember his name.

"You would never expect what people do for food," Johnny says and sounds positively amazed.

"I can't really say I'm surprised," Carlos says.