My Village People Are After Me.

Note: This is SATIRE. I do not condone the persecution of others due to religious/spiritual differences, proselytization, or 'my religion is the bestest ever for everyone' ideologies. As far as a religion is not harmful to the practitioner or others then I'm not against it.

When visiting the village, greet that stingy,
Uncle, who didn't give you money, surely,
You're Christian, not like him, unwelcoming.

Speak in the Spirit, rooms will feel the power,
The demons, that whore, your cousin will change,
Tonight. Ancestral curses will be transferring.

A drop of Daddy's oil on aunty's bed,
No sleep for witches, occultism is over!
Failure is over by the blessed oil.

The food that poisoner, your niece, gives you,
Throw it away but share like Christ, this is!
Warfare not fanfare, be, sharper than devils.

Demons, the heathen, that your nephew, grumbles,
The music is too loud, Daddy's almighty,
Singing! Be nice, reduce, don't turn it off.

Ancestral stone or tree or shrine will burn,
The demons against your destiny, fire!
Go to your village full of the Spirit!!!

_____

💕 Thoughts? I appreciate you reading. Please comment/vote. If you would like to understand this poem better, please continue reading.

A GUIDE TO AID UNDERSTANDING

I realize that all that might be uncomfortable and confusing to read especially for those who don't know the religious landscape of Nigeria, or who don't live in societies similar to Nigeria's, so I'm here to explain!

Nigerian Christianity is conservative and evangelical. Everything you know of Bible Belt America that's it.

There's a popular belief that one's village (your hometown) is a hostile environment full of witches, heathens, the occult, etc (which are all seen as satanic), and since sometimes people's families live in their hometowns they may believe their families to be occultic and hence against their grand destinies. Also, the people in their village can be believed to fall into this category, hence the title, though I decided to focus on the family in this poem.

There's a huge victim mentality belief in Christianity as a whole, but it is especially prominent in the method practiced here.

And if the Christian in question has some evidence to point to why they believe their family members or a certain someone in the village being a witch, then they are fueled even more. Such evidence could be a certain stone, tree, or shrine (a shrine could be from past traditional religions. I say past now as Nigeria is a predominantly Christian/Muslim country. Everyone falls within those two categories).

It is not uncommon to hear prayers of death towards family members and village people believed to be evil. There is hence a huge superiority complex amongst Christians (as there has always been) towards those they believe to not be like them.

Having said that basically everyone is a worshiper of either of the dominant Abrahamic religions and that most people will of course stick with the religion they were brought up in, it is not a stretch to surmise that even the relatives one accuses of immoralities most likely consider themselves Christian. The problem might then be that they are not Christian to one's liking or that one has some beef with them (as with the 'stingy' uncle).

And of course, when one has a problem with someone else, it is not uncommon that words might be exchanged, leading the 'Christian' to see themself as being cursed! And as far as one believes in curses then one is truly cursed. Read about the nocebo effect. Essentially, these evil family members/villagers become the on-earth agents of the devil, hence the word 'demon' being used often.

Then, by the use of the term, 'Daddy' I am referring to the pastors, especially the influential pastors in Nigerian society, who bless olive oils making them holy, and some produce music to sell. A pastor is commonly called 'Daddy' by his congregation.

These pastors further perpetuate these ideas as it is beneficial to them. It is common for pastors to tell their members not to go to their villages, so they do not get cursed. And of course, there are numerous testimonies concerning all this.

In using the words/phrases, 'ancestral curses will be transferring', 'failure is over...', 'warfare...' I am citing the words said by these pastors when talking about evil relatives and villagers. Spirit refers to the Holy Spirit.

Through this poem, I decided to show that maybe problems with family might not be spiritual, but instead behavioral. The Christian believes their family to be evil, so they treat their family with contempt, leading to 'curses', and drama fueling more contempt. This poem is therefore a guide for a proud Christian who is going to the village. Of course, these nuances are never mentioned in testimonies.

I'm not negating that there might be something spiritual to the world, but oftentimes... (I guess you can complete my sentence for me).

After reading this, I suggest you reread the poem. If there is still anything unclear to you, do ask.