Chapter 19: "Priority: Icia"

--World building fact--

Earth year 400 BC, a gate opened on Earth due to a malfunction in the gate control program. This event brought the first humans to colonize Falmart continent on planet Spes. At that time, the darklings broke free from the low-powered Prothean containment facilities and start conquering the land turning everything into barren land. An alliance of the great kingdoms of elves and dwarfs was formed to fight them but it was a futile fight.

As more humans escaped the famine of Italy peninsula on Earth to migrate through the gate, Sadera became the first human city on Falmart and it was under Rome's government. At first, the human stayed out of the war despite the cry for help from elves and dwarfs, but as the war raged on it gets closer to Sadera. At this point, Rome agreed to form a temporary alliance with the other races and sent its army to help in the war against the darklings.

During this 100 years war, the Roman army slowly transformed from phalanges in phalanx into legionnaires. Roman legions lead the alliance to push the darklings all the way back to the North and with the help of the Apostle, built a great wall to guard the lands of men. For thousands of years, there have always been no less than 10 legions guarding the Great Northern Wall.

The valuable experience and resources gained on Falmart allowed Rome to become a great Empire on Earth as history recorded. Sadera became human capital on Falmart and rose to become the Empire as it is today while the elven kingdoms and the dwarf kingdoms slowly decline and were eventually conquered by Saderan Empire.

--Training simulation building, Fort Alnus--

The training simulation is a large, but empty, building with holographic devices capable of creating random combat scenarios from frontline battles to special operation missions. It allows UNE troops to train in close-to-real combat situations and it is completely different every time. Unlike in real combat where they're equipped with TAC suit for their protection, in the simulation they only get 1 life. This means that if they get shot once, they're out and the mission is fail.

"Really, Commander? Patrol duty and now training sim?" David complains as Ava leads the 5th SIF into the training simulation building.

"Well, Operation East Shores Express is going well and straightforward. They have no radar or any real AA defenses so our flyboys could freely take out the enemy's supply convoys, there's no important target to assassinate. There's really no need for special ops yet, so here we are" Ava says.

"Couldn't they send us on an exploration trip like before?" David asks.

"The Planetary Survey Corp sent a battalion and took over that. Come on, let's start the sim. It's either this or guard duty" Ava says as she tabs on David shoulder and wink.

"Alright, Ash, get up there and start the sim" Ava orders.

"Any specific enemy, Commander?" Ashley asks.

"Hmmm, do they have one that fights with swords, spears, dragon, orcs, trolls and magic?" Ava half-jokingly replies.

"Well..." Ashley is going to say something but Ava has an incoming call from General Nguyen.

"Hang on" Ava says as she accepts the call and a holographic screen appears in front of her. She stands at attention and salutes "General".

"At ease, Commander. Meet me at the briefing room in 10, something came up and I need your unit to do it" General Nguyen says.

"Yes, sir!" Ava salutes then the screen disappears.

"Hell yea, about time" David cheers.

"Gear up, I want you all to be ready in case we have to go now" Ava orders as the platoon salute her "Yes ma'am!".