Chapter 22: "Priority: The Crown Prince"

--World building fact--

Before the United Nations of Earth was formed and humanity took to the stars, their entire history was filled with wars and conflicts against their own species while causing extinction for other species on their planet. For this very reason, the galactic community view humanity as a chaotic race, unpredictable, greedy, untrustworthy and warmongering.

In politics and diplomacy, other races in the galaxy deal with humans in a weary manner as it is said that the Earth's politicians are cunning and would spare no chance to obtain political advantage. While few races have respect for humanity's ability to thrive, many see them as a potential threat to the galaxy and few others keep an open mind but remain cautious. However, the UNE enjoy an uneasy peace with the galactic community because of their vastly superior technology, military and human ingenuity in war.

It is agreed among the scholars of every race in the galaxy that it would take the combined might of every major race in the galaxy to stand a chance of winning a war against the UNE, but such a conflict would be so devastating to the galaxy that there would be nothing left for the winning side. The winner would eventually succumb and collapse. A war that no one would win.

--Icia keep, Icia--

Lynk's students are standing in a circle with him in the center as they're performing the spell. Each of them is carrying a baby on their left arm while holding their staff on their right. All their staffs are glowing purple as Lynk's and his staff is elevated off the ground. The babies are crying as their life force is being drained away and with each moment pass, they're getting closer to death. All the other babies and children are kept nearby by the guards who witness their soon-to-be fate in horror.

Zoral watch as the Topaz mages do their spell then he turns away and looks down at the city mumble "It's for the good of the Empire" as he closes his fists tight.

----

One of the GS-12s is approaching the source of the dark cloud and its video feed is being relayed back to Alnus Command.

"This is Ying 2-2 to Alnus Command, I have hostile magic wielders insight and coming in to engage. Over" The pilot of the GS-12 reports as his sight fix on the Topaz mages.

"Roger that Ying 2-2. Over" Alnus Command replies.

Ying 2-2 unleash one of the SWARM pods sending hundreds of missiles the side of a 2L coke bottle at the mages. One of the mages turns around and erects a purple energy shield wall to stop the missiles. The shield collapses but it managed to stop all the missiles before they could hit their target and the baby on the mage's arm dried up and die. He throws the baby's corpse to the ground and uses telekinesis to take another baby into his arm and then perform a new spell. The dark fog around the GS-12 getting darker but the pilot could not make the gunship move. The holoscreen shows that they're going at Mach 2 but, in reality, the gunships is being held still.

"This is Ying 2-2 to Alnus Command, missiles did not connect. I repeat, missiles did not connect" the pilot reports as the cloud darkens around his craft killing his shield then collapses on the hull causing a fire in the engines and sending the gunship free fall to the ground "Mayday, mayday, mayday, Ying 2-2 is going d...".

An explosion could be heard over the radio, General Nguyen immediately order recon drones to give them a visual of the crash site. It shows that the pilot is trying to get out of the burning GS-12 as hostiles are closing in.

"Ying 2-2, this is Alnus Command, come in. Over" General Nguyen says.

"This is Ying 2-2 to Alnus Command, the GS-12 is FUBAR" the pilot pause for a second as he checks the replicator "replicator is non-operational, TAC suit mass is at 40%, shield is down, thrusters are out, requesting evac. Over" the pilot replies.